Author Topic: almost there - some nights  (Read 807 times)

Offline cathbilson

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
  • My gorgeous guys
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:46:00 am »
My 4 1/2 mo has been night waking for the last few weeks (since we came back off holiday - sigh). I've managed to get him down to one night waking (was three or four between 1 am and 6 am). usually, anyway, it's just one. The thing is this. he wakes at 4.30 (we dont' do a dream feed by the way - he won't have any of it) so I feed him, and I know he's hungry because he'll take around 6 oz. BUT THEN - it takes up to an hour to go back to sleep. And we start the day at 6 so generally I don't get to go back to bed at all.
This morning was particuarly bad - he woke at 2.45 - ok, he's hungry, fed him, 5 oz. Took 45 minutes to go back to sleep, so I went back to bed at 3.30. AND THEN he woke at 4.30 anyway, and took another 45 minutes to get back to sleep!
He's on a standard 4-hour EASY and the rest of the day is pretty much like clockwork (he's an Angel/Textbook type).
I just don't get it. What's this 4.30 thing all about? Ok if he's hungry, fine, but this morning?
He does not have reflux. he's just wide awake and wants to play, doesn't cry, just fidgets like a mad thing. IT's driving me BANANAS. I'm getting (and so is DH) seriously fed up of having to go to bed at 8.30, because I seriously can't function on less than about 7 hours sleep now I've stopped breastfeeding (no more hormones).
HELP MEEEE!!!!
Mum to Kieran (born 10 May 2006)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: almost there - some nights
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 16:32:24 pm »
Since we teach our LOs that after eating is A time, sometimes we have to work a little more to get them to understand that there is no A time after eating at night. I suspect that he's expecting A time after that feed.

Does he wake at 4:30 each night, or does it vary a bit? You might also try W2S, but since he needs that feed I don't know if that would really be a solution.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline cathbilson

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • My gorgeous guys
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 19:31:46 pm »
Well, last night was a bit different - he was fussy and fiddly before bed and only took half what he'd normally have, so I decided to df. Set the clock for 11 and at 10.45 heard him start! he had 6 oz and dropped right back off (practically on the bottle).
At 2.20 I heard him start. But I was so tired I just couldnt' summon the energy to get out of bed, so I lay there thinking "I'll wait until he gets screamy" but I must have fallen asleep again and so must he because the next thing I know it's 4.55! He started again but has gone fairly easily back down (it's 5.30 now).
I wonder if this has broken the 4.30 habit? I know, I know, it's a really hard one if he's hungry. And I am so happy he went back to sleep on his own earlier - it's the first time (that I know of) that's he's done that after a night waking.
We've been tryign the gentle removal thing with the paci and it seems to be working at least a little bit, because obvioulsy he was able to drop back off without it earlier.
Will wait and see how tonight goes.
Perhaps I should try reducing his last feed a bit so he wants to df for a while, at least until we're past the night wakings, kwim? DO you think that's a good idea?
Mum to Kieran (born 10 May 2006)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: almost there - some nights
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 19:42:30 pm »
It sounds like progess is being made, congratulations! That's great! Personally though I wouldn't reduce that last feed. If you do, even in the interest of a DF, he will get used to eating more at night and that will be just another problem to fix later.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o