Author Topic: food strike  (Read 1492 times)

Offline lisi's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 155
food strike
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:17:23 am »
I think dd is trying to see how far she can push me right now. Refusing to even taste some foods I know she likes, or refusing to let me feed her then dropping everything on the floor instead of trying to eat it. Last night I made about 4 different dinners that ended up getting chucked.

Should I just let her get on with things and not be so soft, reckoning she'll eat when she's hungry? I'm still bfing 3 times a day (and 1 a night  :-[ ) and she's on the skinny side ( but no where near as bad as I thought having just found those new who growth charts  ;D ) .

TIA
Katie
Katie

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: food strike
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:22:37 am »
She won't starve. Personally, I wouldn't have made 4 different meals. You're just setting yourself up for battles later on. Don't make a big deal if she won't eat, just take her plate away when she's done.  I wouldn't react either when she drops food, just clear up when your done.
Do you sit at the table and eat with her? 
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:11:02 pm »
It's not quite that bad - I didn't make 4 different meals from scratch, the other 3 were leftovers and cold.

I do sit at the table with her, but don't always eat at the same time. Breakfast and lunch are had together, more or less but dinner at 5.30 is just too early.

I get nervous that what she doesn't eat during the day she's going to try and make up for during the night. I'm working on the night feeding by giving her a very dilute bottle if she wakes before 5.30. After 5.30 she gets half a bf but we're having big fights at the moment, and a lot more night wakings than usual which I'm sure are part of the same problem.
Katie

Offline mcruari

• Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 12:20:40 pm »
Would you consider giving her a bottle of cow's milk before bed? Are you already giving her that? If she is not eating a lot during the day, maybe a nice bottle with a thickener like Plasmon biscuits would do the trick and you know that way that she is getting some nutrients into her.
 :o :o :o for still doing the b/f at night :o :o :o You are one brave woman  :-* ;)
Sinéad

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 12:46:52 pm »
:o :o :o for still doing the b/f at night :o :o :o You are one brave woman  :-* ;)

not brave Sinead, weak and foolish  ::)

I haven't introduced cows milk yet - a first birthday treat. Maybe I have to think about replacing the last bf with a mega calorie bottle. :'(
Katie

Offline mcruari

• Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 12:50:32 pm »
My ped. let me introduce milk at 11mths although the first 2 weeks it was half milk and half water. Maybe you could give the ped. a call and ask if that would be ok. I'm not trying to convince you (well I am really as I feel for you having to do the night b/f) but I think she may just need that boost in the evening, espcially as she is eating so little now.

Big hugs and  :-*
Sinéad

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 15:56:56 pm »
I'm being cautious on the milk front as I don't do too well with it myself. As for the night feed - she's got 2 more months and then Mummy gets tough, we'll finally be moving into a flat where she has her own bedroom. Right now she's in with us.

Will try topping off with formula before bed tonight and see how things go.
Katie

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 17:16:36 pm »
Good luck!!!!!!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 17:22:17 pm »
Don't beat yourself up about the night feedings.  I fed DS1 several times a night when he was well over a year.  ::)
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 15:18:57 pm »
Thanks for your help everybody.

Things seem to be getting better (I've probably just jinxed it  ::)) Lisi lets me feed her again for at least a little while. I'm going for small amounts of several different things eg polenta with 2 veggies in seperate piles. or a little pasta then a little of something else and if that gets eaten then a little banana.

This way she's not getting bored of one thing, and seems to prefer her food seperate instead of all mixed up. At least today anyway, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

She drank 4 oz of the formula bottle last night on top of a bf, didn't really bring me any extra sleep though, but I managed to delay the night feed to 5am. Better than it has been.

It's an adventure, this food thing eh!
Katie