Author Topic: Just bought book....for a "spirited" baby  (Read 928 times)

Offline gabbysmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Just bought book....for a "spirited" baby
« on: September 24, 2006, 14:35:16 pm »
My "spirited" baby is 7 months old.  She barely sleeps and is crawling all over the place.  I am exhausted! I'm just getting ready to start the EASY schedule.  This week-end I will start trying to get her to go to bed earlier and sleep through the night.  Right now she is waking 4-7 times a night and will not go back to sleep unless I nurse her.  If I put her to bed awake, she crawls to the end of her crib and stands there.  My question is...how do I get started with putting her to bed and what do I do when she wakes in the night?  Thank-you!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Re: Just bought book....for a "spirited" baby
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 18:32:03 pm »
This is very similar to my situation when I started EASY.   Our first step was to get a proper EASY schedule (the book makes it sound like you should put him on a 4 hour easy, and really a 7 month old may need something different with more awake time) and then to do pu/pd (pick up/ put down)to train him to fall asleep on his own. 

We ran into trouble when my little one started teething 10 days into the process so we've had to take a bit of a break and are rather in limbo, but we had AMAZING success with night time sleep right away.  My LO was having a lot of troubles learning to nap independently and with the  teething I didn't feel like I could push him . . . so we're in limbo a bit like I said . . . but enough about me. 

I would suggest that you read the FAQs on the pu/pd board and then post over there.  The moderators are AMAZING and will help you figure out what your routine should look like and how to get started.  For me, pu/pd was really the cornerstone of getting started. 

(Truly, we my LO--then 7.5 months--was also waking 3-6 times a night and nursing FOREVER to get back to sleep and for the first three nights of EASY and PU/PD he had only one wake up to feed and then for the next 7 days . . . none.)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Just bought book....for a "spirited" baby
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 17:46:00 pm »
Ditto to Bethany Ann, but just wanted to add that it's important that you don't nurse her to sleep. You might want to check out the props board as well.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o