Author Topic: Ergo Baby Carrier use  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Ergo Baby Carrier use
« on: September 24, 2006, 16:29:10 pm »
I think some of you here are Ergo Baby Carrier users. I'm just wondering how long were you able to use it with your LO, and when did you stop using it?  I know that they say you can use it until your LO is 4 yrs old or something.

Marisa is already walking, but still seems to enjoy being in the Ergo Baby Carrier. I'm just trying to get an idea of when she may not want to be carried in it anymore.

Although she is already walking, I don't really let her walk on the street. She's such an active girl, wanting to go where SHE wants to and not wanting to hold my hand ... so it could be very dangerous if she runs into the street before I can catch her. I'll let her walk around on her own when we're in a "safe" mall or something. The last time I let her walk down the street, she made a beeline down the street and wanted to proceed off the curb into the street! Eeeks! And she didn't want me to pick her up or prevent her from getting to the street.

Marie

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 16:45:09 pm »
I have one of these and I don't really use it - I probably should get it out now, I think PJ might be better with it than the stroller some days BUT I am wondering how you get it on?  I mean, I am thinking I want PJ in the backpack carry, but how do you get them in it with out help?  Last time I did it he was much younger, and I needed someone to kind of hold him up while I strapped him in.  Maybe now he would grab around my neck?  I should get it out.  would be nice to go for a walk through the woods with the fall colors.....

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Ergo Baby Carrier use
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:15:24 am »
Ah yes, I know what you mean. It was difficult to get DD in the Ergo when she was younger/smaller. But then I found it got easier when she was slightly older/larger. She would "help" me get her in it. I held her in front and made a "game" of it by swinging her back and forth, "1, 2, 3!" and I'd swing her onto my back on "3". I would have to bend forward so she can lean on my back without falling while I get one of the straps on my shoulder. Of course I would have one hand reaching back to hold her in place on my back so she doesn't fall off. Then I'd use my hand to pull the back fabric up around her bottom/back before I tried to get the 2nd strap on my shoulder. I little bounce & adjust, then snap the connection on the front and we're good to go!  It's pretty much like the instructions they give you.

At first I had trouble with the dismount. This was back when DD wasn't even standing yet. So I'd always have to make sure we got back home so I could use the bed (or even the sofa sometimes), leaning back so she'd lie on the bed before I unbuckle everything.  ... then it got way easier once she was standing. I would bend over slightly, undo the front buckle, take of one shoulder strap, and grab hold of her while swinging her forward (it's almost the reverse action of getting her into the Ergo), and then place her gently on the floor where she can stand on her own. Sometimes I make it fun for her by swinging her a bit back and forth before I put her down, she loves that.

If you asked me early on, I would have said the Ergo was awful. But after DD was a little older/larger, it was GREAT!!! She loves riding in it. And I can't imagine doing without it.

Hope this helps...

Marie

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 16:14:39 pm »
thanks Marie - I know we will love it.  My SIL used it for my nephew around this age and he is a year older now and I think she is still using it.  They think it is wonderful.  I am going on a walk this afternooon so I might try it.

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12