Author Topic: Should I give her back the pacifier?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline grahamsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
« on: September 24, 2006, 17:31:23 pm »
Dd is 22 months.  I took away her paci on Wednesday night.  I wasn't planning to until after the new baby came so she'd have a comfort item, but I could only find one and if she loses it in the middle of the night she wakes up and then I'd be in there searching for it.  So, I thought, let's just give this a shot.  She did ok-ish the first night.  I cuddled her and she fell asleep, not happy but not all that upset.  The next few nights have been awful though.  She's up crying and screaming "No" over and over for literally hours in the middle of the night.  She isn't specifically asking for her paci, she wants me.  She wants me to cuddle with her and comfort her back to sleep.  She just hasn't figured out how to self soothe and then I took away her prop.  Even if dh goes in there she screams "no, no, mommy" over and over. 
I've tried getting her to attach to another lovey, blankie or stuffed animal.  We went to the toy store and let her pick whatever she wanted (a My little pony) and she loved it until bedtime, when she threw it out of her bed. 
So, my question is...
Should I reintroduce her paci and wean her more slowly from it, allowing her to learn how to self soothe.  Will she just figure it out eventually?  How long will it take?  What can I do to help her?
TIA