Author Topic: Shopping with/for LO  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Shopping with/for LO
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:11:15 am »
When shopping for LO's clothing, when (what age) did your LO want to have a say in which clothes to get?

Marisa has never been keen on shopping and gets impatient when I take too long standing in one place to look at something. I probably shouldn't complain cuz I know it will come too soon when all she'll want to do is go shopping, and it'll be, "Mommy, can I have this?", "Mommy, can you buy me this?", "Mommy, I HAVE to have this!" lol.  When we're out I am usually carrying her in the Ergo Baby Carrier. I can sense her impatience when I have stopped too long (that could be less than a minute!) to look at something, she'll let me know by vocal protest, leaning/twisting and/or patting me shoulder/arms (kinda like, "giddyup, ride!"  ::))

When shopping for her clothes, I usually cruise the childrens clothing section for sales and I'll buy the next size up if I find a good deal. Well that has worked fine so far, and now I have a plethora of clothes in the next size up, 24 mos or 2/2T. (She's currently wearing 18 mos size clothes) So far she hasn't really cared what I got for her or how we dressed her. I'm starting to wonder when it will happen... when will she want to have a say in what she wears? Should I stop shopping for larger sizes now? I mean ... what if I start buying size 3 or size 4 clothes cuz I found them on sale, and then come time when she is big enough to wear them, she decides she does not like what I have chosen??? 

Marie

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Shopping with/for LO
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:36:16 am »
Well Ds#1 started refusing to wear certain clothes at about 18mo & still does have definite preferences at 3yo although maybe not quite so strong at times as I can "negotiate" with enough time to get him to wear X for Y. On the other hand my niece who is almost 4 couldn't care, she does have clothes she will ask to wear more often, but she won't flattly refuse like my ds. i think it depends on the individual child.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Shopping with/for LO
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:32:13 am »
I guess I'll just have to wait and see how DD turns out. So far, at 18 mos, she doesn't really care. The only thing she doesn't really like sometimes is when we have to pull a shirt/sweater over her head. So I try to get her zip front jackets, and not the pullover type stuff. She doesn't really show any clothing preference. While shopping for her (clothing or other item), I try to ask her whether she likes one or the other. She doesn't really say. I'm not sure she has made the connection that we can take some of this stuff home with us, which is probably a good thing.  ;) She may show interested in "playing" with something at a store, but she doesn't seem to know that we can buy stuff to take home. Although I have to say it is getting harder and harder to get her out of the Disney store...

Marie