Author Topic: Need help 'tweaking' routine  (Read 630 times)

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Need help 'tweaking' routine
« on: September 25, 2006, 21:28:48 pm »
My 5mth old is 'in flux' with his 4 hour easy. He can go 4hrs between feeds, but is having trouble with his a and s times.
Our routine was this:

730-e
930-s
1130-w/e
130-s
330-w/e
530-s
615-w
700-bath
730-top up and bed

Over the last few weeks he has been having a hard time actually napping the full two hours. Usually the first nap is 1.5 hours and the second is 45 minutes or so. He usually wakes up unhappy, not crying, but unhappy whereas he used to wake up talking or else I had to wake him up. Sometimes I am lucky and he gets close to the 1.5 or 2 hour mark. He doesn't always take the catnap, but if he doesn't, it is almost guaranteed he will wake up 45 minutes after bedtime. He is difficult to get to bed, so it isn't fun if he does that.

He still wakes almost every night to eat as well and because he has a hard time getting to sleep to begin with, I would like to start taking his daytime sleep away from him slowly so he will be more tired at bedtime and maybe sleep throught the night more often.

I have been told to drop the catnap which is fine, but my biggest problem is that he has difficulty staying up for more than 2 hours. Often, he is already getting tired at the 90 minute mark. I have tried to change the activity and there is no change. I also refrain from overstimulating activites with him. On occassion, he can do it, but he isn't a happy boy and naps can be a challenge when they are normally a breeze.

Can someone help me adjust his routine? I have also tried to keep him up an extra 5 minutes at a time, but I am not having any success with that.
~Keri~

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Need help 'tweaking' routine
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 20:13:08 pm »
If he still needs his cat nap, have you tried extending his bed time and putting him to bed at 8:00.

It could be that he is not tired enough at 7:30, hence the reason for him not wanting to go down.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007