Author Topic: 5.5mo Will he ever sleep through consistently?!  (Read 830 times)

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
5.5mo Will he ever sleep through consistently?!
« on: September 26, 2006, 01:48:19 am »
DS is 5.5mo and I can count on one hand the number of times he has slept through from 7:30pm to 7am (with DF at 10:30pm) without waking. THe waking used to be predictable - first cos he was hungry or uncomfortable. But now, he's popped 2 teeth and there aren't any further signs of teething, he's well and happy, and he doesn't seem to have hit any major milestones (not even rolling over yet). Yet he'll very often wake anywhere from 4:30-7amgetup. He'll either wake with a sudden cry and then settle to a chat/grunting, or just wake grunting. Sometimes he'll go back to sleep, others he eventually gets upset and needs a little pat/shh to calm him down again (but will still take a while to go back to sleep). Some mornings he'll just keep grunting/moaning to himself continually for AGES. The wakeups seem to be lasting longer and longer. If he wakes after 6am I know he's unlikely to go back to sleep till getup (it used to be so if he woke after 6:20). And last night he woke at 5am and didn't go back to sleep  :o except for one quiet 30min stretch. (today hasnt been much fun!). And yet a couple of days ago he did two nights in a row of sleeping through  :o ;D

Nothing has changed. He's on 4hr easy. 3 BFs, 1bedtime bottle formula and a BF DF. I've just started him on solids but he's hardly swallowing much at all. His morning naps are between 1.5 and 2hrs. His afternoon nap is about 1.5-2.5hrs (usually 1.5), and a 45min catnap. He can't seem to get through the day with much less sleep than that - we have to work to keep him up for 1.5hrs at a time in the afternoons so I'm hesitant to wake him early if he's sleeping longer than 1.5hrs.

What on earth is the matter?! Is he sleeping too much during the day? It starts to get light at 5am and the birds start to chatter - but surely he should still be tired and want to go back to sleep?! Do they ever stop being such light sleepers?! (I hold off going to the loo at night - unless he's already awake - as it's likely to wake him)

Gosh, we really need some baggy eye'd, tired/exhausted emoticons!
Anna

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 5.5mo Will he ever sleep through consistently?!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 15:33:23 pm »
At that age Bram was still pretty restless for that last bit of the night and would often (almost every day) wake early.  Just keep on doing what you are doing.  Only go in if he is upset and pat/shh eventually he will be able to do it on his own. 

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 19:48:47 pm »
Oh that's good to hear! Tinfoil on his windows blocks most of the light but I'm thinking of covering the edges better. I'm hoping the clock change this weekend will help since it will get light 1hr later.
Anna

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 20:03:35 pm »
Riley is such a light sleeper for the last hour or so before wakeup, moving around a lot in his sleep etc. LOL at the bathroom scenario as it's the same issue at our house!