Author Topic: 14 week old - what is normal?  (Read 877 times)

Offline owensmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 25, 2006, 19:12:13 pm »
Hi there,

This weekend I transitioned by LO to his crib - until now he had been sleeping on my chest at night - at first this was due to colic/reflux and a milk allergy but once he developed past these problems it continued as a habit. 

The first night he woke 6 times and the second night he woke 5 times.  I anticipated that it would be hard because he is getting used to a new environment.

He is on a 3 hour easy, normally taking about 5 hours of naps in the day (we're struggling with the 45 min nap monster but making progress).  He goes to bed at 7:45 and last night he woke at 10:30pm for a feed and then at 3:30am for a feed.  He woke again at 5pm (fussy and needed to be settled) and then struggled with 45 minute cycles until 6:30 when he was up for good.

I know that every baby is different and I am thrilled that we're down to three wakings and two feedings in just a few nights with the crib.  I just want to know how many night wakings is normal for a breastfed baby at 14 weeks of age so that I can make sure I help him get used to his new surroundings and develop good sleep habits.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 14 week old - what is normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 19:14:58 pm »
Well mine was bottle fed but at that age he had a dream feed at 11 and then a night feed between 3 and 5 so I guess you would be right on track.  Mine was really restless for that last bit of the night too.  Just keep doing your pat/shh and pick a time that you want to be up for the day and go with that.  You are doing great ;D

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 14 week old - what is normal?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 14:58:51 pm »
Mine is bottlefed, but at 13 weeks, looks EXACTLY as Lana described above.  It is driving me crazy!!  ;)
Good luck and congrats for making the switch!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 15:39:00 pm »
My son is now 14 weeks too and sometimes feeds between 4/5 am but if he wakes before this say 3 am becomes restless around 5am too. Tho last night i saw mosts hours between 1 and 4.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06