Author Topic: Formula vs. Soy milk  (Read 1254 times)

s_olano00

Formula vs. Soy milk
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:47:56 am »
I need your thoughts on this...

AnnaK has been on Hipoallergenic milk for the past 16 months (mostly because of my health history - I am asthmatic), but now that she has tried almost every type of food without reacting to it I asked her Ped if we still need to keep her on HA milk and she gave us the green light to change to Nestle's Beba Activ 3.

AnnaK has accepted the new milk, but I am not happy with it  :P :P It's a pain to dissolve and it's thicker than normal, so I have to mix it with a greater amount of water than the one is recommended.

Due to all this problems, I am planning to talk to her Ped about switching to another brand, but my Mom suggested that maybe it's better to switch her to soy milk. She says it's healthier and more nutritious than cow's milk and anyway since AnnaK eats everything, I can still make sure she eats enough lactose by giving her cheese, yoghurt, etc.

Anyone else is giving her LO soy milk without a compelling medical reason? I am neither pro or against it, but I would like to hear other's thoughts...

TIA,

Silvia

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Formula vs. Soy milk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 13:19:00 pm »
My doc uses it for her children as she says it better for them.  Can't remember all the reasons, other than it also has some fiber.  (DD was giggling at the time.)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

s_olano00

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 13:03:17 pm »
Thanks a lot for your reply Jen!

I'll keep on researching on this subject.

Take Care,

Silvia

Offline Mommy Moo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 16:10:42 pm »
I assume you're talking about Soy Milk and not Soy Formula?  One thing to remember is that soy milk has much less fat than the regular homo milk that is usually recommended for kids 1 - 2 years old.  My DS was on soy formula and we had to keep him on the soy follow-up formula until he was around 2 years old because it has a higher fat content.  He has since been ok with regular cows milk.  Hope you find what works.
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 16:20:18 pm »
Soy milk does have less fat than cow's milk but still a fair amount and additional fat can be added in other ways (olice oil, flax oil, avocado, etc). I know different doctors with very varying opinions - some believe soy milk is healthier, some insist cow's milk is - so hard to say but it all comes down, like you said, to doing your own research and making the decision that is right for you and your family.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01