Author Topic: When does this stop??  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
When does this stop??
« on: September 26, 2006, 17:23:21 pm »
OMG I can't believe I am posting on a TODDLER board...  :-\  ;D

DS throws his food on the floor at every meal. I mean all his food. Every meal. I can't stand it, he's been doing this for weeks and it's totally maddening. I know it's probably a phase but it's not ending! He even screams when there's nothing left on his tray to throw.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: When does this stop??
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 17:33:33 pm »
Sam does this.  How much food do you put out for him?  I get round it somewhat by only putting a couple of pieces on his tray at one time.  Any more than that and he picks food up then drops it in his eagerness to try something else!
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 17:34:11 pm »
LOL Sounds like Kayla, she does it when she's done eating :P We've started only giving her a little at a time.
Sometimes I think she's trying to make art work for me with her food finger painting LOL

I too would like to know when this stops. Kayla's slowed down a bit, but now she's starting to feed the cats... they'll prop themselves on the side of the high chair and eat it out of her hand. She thinks its funny.. and to be honest its hard not to laugh.
:-[ :P
Kimberly

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 17:45:01 pm »
Wendy, I'll put just a few pieces of whatever out for him. He'll usually throw it all on the floor, then when I get more he'll eat one piece and throw the rest. Repeat cycle. He does it as soon as he gets in his chair, not just when he's done like Kayla! I really have a thing about wasting food so I'm definitely struggling with this, KWIM? And he's been doing it so danged long!
Jessica

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 18:09:16 pm »
I want to know too.  Usually it's if she does not want something or when she is done.  Then it's an "all done" sign done on the tray, sweeping the food off.  And she feeds the cats too!   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 19:48:52 pm »
You can get a plastic sheet and put it under the high chair and when she throws the food, it doesn't matter if you just put it back on her tray as it hasn't touched the floor. (you can wash it thoroughly after each feed)  I also pick it up and say, no we don't throw food, we must eat it.  It is a long process as My DD used to do it, but then stopped then Childminding LO started doing it so now DD copies him.   The mat saves your floor and saves you cooking so much food all the time, I do notice that they only throw the food that they don't like so much, ie the food without colours.  They all love brocolli, carrots, courgettes, beans etc, but not potatoes, cauliflower, pasta, that all ends up on the mat!!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 21:37:51 pm »
Just though i would say we are having the same problem DD does it when she is finished. She now does it as well to feed the dog as well. I have also just bought a plaxtic sheet to put under her chair to help keep things a bit cleaner and also so i can give her back what she throws on the floor.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 21:46:59 pm »
I've been hoping I could just make him stop  :P  but perhaps I will invest in a mat. At least that way I wouldn't throw as much out. I've gotten good at catching though, you ladies would be impressed!!  ;)
Jessica

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 21:48:00 pm »
Do you tell him off when he does it? Catherine thinks it funny and just continues to do it anyway >:(

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline mari

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 21:51:47 pm »
I do say, 'NO, we don't throw food, we must eat it,' But they just carry on, I am trying to be consistent though!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 21:56:40 pm »
You bet I tell him off. I even do it in a very stern, no-joking way which is usually hard for me. I've even tried swatting his hand when he does it. Don't take that wrong, I don't hurt him at all, just a little swipe to get the point across. That doesn't work at all. No matter what I do or how serious I am, he just laughs like Catherine! I don't know what to do to get him to understand that it's not a game - since obviously I can't take his food away as punishment  :P
Jessica

Offline mari

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 22:02:34 pm »
Actually, Alex was spitting at the teat of her bottle of milk tonight, I can't explain what she was doing, but it was definitely rude and not drinking it properly, so I told her that if she did it again, I would take it away, and she did it, so I took it.   woah, she screamed blue murder until I gave it back, but she didn't do it again.  Perhaps I could try it with food, I wouldn't let her starve, just maybe take it away and get her out of the highchair until she behaves, then tell her that she can go back if she eats properly and see if it works,  I will do it on the weekend with no distractions of other children and I will let you know if it works.  As she is older, she will understand.