Author Topic: far too active in sleep  (Read 822 times)

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
far too active in sleep
« on: September 26, 2006, 19:18:58 pm »
hi there,
DS has been waking constantly for the last 8 mths (he is 8 mths!!!!), we have been watering down his night bottles so now he is down to 3 scoops and hasn't had a bottle for 3 nights. last evening/night he was awake app.7 times. he was up and crawling or squashed to one side etc in his cot. it was easy to get him back to sleep again but obviously we would like to eliminate the NW's completely. we are thinking of buying a sleeping bag for him but i have read they can still be very mobile in them. i read a topic several mths ago about a tuck-in solution but i can't find it again. would this work for an 8 mth old? he is extremely strong (not kidding). if anybody knows where to find the link pls post it or if you have some other ideas to keep him a little bit immobile they would be welcomed. i know some people who literally strap their LO's to the bed but i think this is extreme so i won't be trying that yet! TIA, nicola
[u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Diegos Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 21:33:24 pm »
Is he crying or just moving about?

Can he soothe himself to sleep?

How are his naps?

How does he initially fall asleep?
Laura

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
Re: far too active in sleep
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:20:04 am »
he is just up and crawling around, then he has a hard time to settle b/c he just falls on to his tummy (side sleeper) and the crawling thing starts all over again. we rub his back to sleep and say sleepy sleepy. he is often over-tired at bedtime as we just can't seem to sort out his PM nap. it is normally around 2pm and last 40 mins. i do do PU/PD with him but at the Pm nap he is so active it just doesn't work. his morning naps are fine. he can soothe himself back to sleep on occassions but this is an expection rather than a rule.
thanks laura, nicola

Offline Diegos Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 11:12:56 am »
Have you ever tried just leaving him be?  If he's not crying it's likely he's practicing his locomotion skills and many times babies fall back to sleep on their own after having a work out in their crib.  My general rule is if they're not crying, not to go in. 

PU/PD may be too stimulating for him if he's spiritied.  You might opt for just the PD portion, laying him back down over and over as needed, but again, I'd reserve this for when he's truly worked up and crying.  There is a thread for spirited babies around here somewhere.  Have you checked it out?  I don't recall if it's on a sleep forum or on the EASY forum -- I can have a look if you've not come across it.

PS, what's his nighttime sleep like and what was his sleep life before he started the wiggling/crawling thing?
Laura

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
Re: far too active in sleep
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 12:11:00 pm »
we do wait for a full out cry when he wakes at night, and i have tried walking out whilst putting him to sleep. sometimes it works for a while then he cries out and then i go in and help him sleep :( i can count on two hands the amount of times he has slept through so night wakings are nothing new for us! it is hard at nap times to just leave him be because it cuts into so much of his nap time, IYGWIM.

i think i will check out the spirited support club but i did his "personalitly profile" when he was small and he was textbook/angel :o :o don't know how i came up with that :D

thanks again laura