Author Topic: how to drop night feed (No DF)?  (Read 753 times)

Offline Ruggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:19:38 pm »
Hi

We tried the DF and it worked to extend DS#2 sleep when he was a little wee bub. Then we hit 4 mth and things went haywire, and number of things happened (growth spurt, hunger strike, immunisation etc),  and constant night wakings. After addressing everything else we still had constant night wakings (every 1.5 hours after midnight).

After 5 mth we dropped the DF as it looks like it was disturbing his sleep and his constant night wakings stopped.

Now he is going to be 6 mth next week, and he wakes once at around 2:30-4 for a feed. Takes about 120ml, which is what he would normally take at a day time feed (that is the most he would ever take).

My question is with DF you slowly reduce the amount and bring it earlier (worked really well for DS#1 who dropped it at 7mth when solids was firmly est.), so what do you do when they wake at their own accord at night? What is the principle/idea on how to drop this feed? Do I take note of how much he takes and slowly reduce the quantity when I can see that solid is well established? Do you need to push the feed to later closer to the morning or ealier in the night?
I am just preparing myself for the next phase, when they move from being a little baby to a bigger baby ;)

Thanks

Loanne
Loanne
Domestic Goddess

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: how to drop night feed (No DF)?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 18:59:01 pm »
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Ruggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:19:41 am »
HI Jessica,

Thanks for the link.
I have dropped a DF for DS#1 before, but since I cant DF DS#2, he wakes out of hunger between 2:30-4 (usually around 3:30).
So just wondering on how to drop the nightfeed, the 3 am ish one. Do I decrease the amount as you would with DF, when he wakes ? Do I shift it forward or backward, or leave til when he wakes by himself?

Thanks
Loanne
Domestic Goddess

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: how to drop night feed (No DF)?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 16:02:44 pm »
At 6 mo. it wouldn't be too unusual if he truly needed a night feed still. If he does really need it, you definitely don't want to try and eliminate it. Does he take a full feed? Eat it at least fairly eagerly?

There's a sticky in the FAQ section about how to drop a night feed that's very helpful - many people have had success with the tactic. Check it out and see if it would work for you.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o