Author Topic: Another milk/bottle dilema  (Read 1469 times)

Offline mcruari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
Another milk/bottle dilema
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:20:14 am »
My DD is 3yrs plus and I have decided that she really shouldn't be having her milk in a bottle anymore, I think :-\
Her breakfast is a bottle of milk with biscuits, which she loves. In the evening she also has about 4-5 oz of milk, again in a bottle.
I tried giving her evening milk in a cup a couple of times but she was not interested. :(
So I have been telling her that when kiddies go to pre-school their bottles tend to crack and break so we'll have to get her a nice cup for her milk, which she accepted and even talked about it. So yesterday I spotted a nice Barbie plastic breakfast cup with a handle so I bought it for her along with a really cheap Barbie (which I didn't even pay for as the cashier didn't pass it over the scanner properley ;D ;D).
So yesterday evening I tried her with the cup and also gave her a biscuit to dunk into it. She ate the biscuit but no milk.
We tried again this morning again. All in the bed for a nice relaxing breakfast - NOT. She dunked her biscuits but only 3 and refused to drink her milk :( :( ::)
I don't know where to go from here. Should I jsut give her the cup of milk and let her dunk even if she doesn't drink? Or should I devise some other breakfast for her? She is not a great eater and as we don't have cereal at home she is not accustomed to it :-\ She loves yogurt and bread and jam but I would so like her to drink some milk as she really enjoyed it in a bottle :-\
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:24:03 am by mcruari »
Sinéad

Offline macsmum

• Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Another milk/bottle dilema
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:23:32 am »

If it were me i would stick to it and let her carry on dunking her biscuits she will soon drink her milk from her cup.
throw out the bottles and then u cant change back ;D thats what i had to do with my dd
Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:25:07 am »
sinead, I say it depends how desperate u are to get rid of the bottles! ;D If very, then chuck them all out as PP have suggested! Otherwise maybe 'wean' her, eg shes allowed a bottle a night if she has the breakfast milk from a cup, then gradually remove the bedtime one too?? HTH

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 12:00:32 pm »
Given her age they are particular about things aren't they ;)
I'd keep going, she will work it out, I found with both my ds's particularly ds#1, that a "change" can take a while, but if you go backwards it gets messy... her body will probably want the milk in a few days so she will start being interested, otherwise offer as much other dairy as you can.
Also 3yo's have very up & down appetites too, so I recon roll with it, but don't push it or give a reaction either way KWIM.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 12:16:40 pm »
We had a big struggle with this Sinead, but we've cracked it now. We gave them up in May, I talked about being a big girl and getting a sticker when she had her milk form a cup, that didn't work, but I think at not even two she was a bit too young for that concept.
I was really worried about her milk intake as she had drunk soooo much from her bottle. I gave her milkshakes instead. Chocolate cos that is her favourite thing in the world and strawberry so she could have pink milk like Charlie and Lola!!!
This worked and she drank loads of that! I changed her routine a bit and gave her the milkshakes at diff time of the day to when she would normally have her milk, I think that helped too. For a long time she refused to have 'normal' milk, but now she will.
I try not worry so much about how much milk she is having everyday now, and see it over a week. I think they need between 1/2 and 1 pint per day now they are older. If you add up how many yoghurts
, cheese etc she is having, I'll bet she's not that far off the mark.
Kxx
Kimberley

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 12:21:33 pm »
I really like the idea of the milkshakes, Kimberley, but how did you go about persuading Holly to drink them from a cup ? My DS shakes his head whenever I show him milk in his favourite cup.

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:36:13 pm »
I told her it was chocolate!!! Honestly I worry that in the future my daughter may kill for her love of chocolate!!!! ;D

We went through a phase of having a 'grown up' straw, you know the deal, 'wow, isn't it special, Holly being a big girl!' and me having a milkshake and letting her drink through my straw. then she was soon hooked!

I try to buy the 'healthiest' chocolate milkshakes I can find, just for my own piece of mind. I buy Max for Milk made by Ovalitine cos it has barley and malt in it as well. And I often put in a couple of cubes of mashed banana I have frozen as well to make even more healthier!

Its just about finding the novelty factor to fit your child. You could try taking him shopping to choose his 'milkshake' cup?
Kimberley

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 13:44:29 pm »
That could work ! Thanks Kimberley. I am tempted to go for Nesquik because that reminds me of my childhood, never mind DS perhaps liking it too !  ;D