Author Topic: Am I wrong?  (Read 921 times)

Offline bay lass

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 27, 2006, 20:00:50 pm »
Hi there, Really after some reasurance. I have a 14 week old who is on a 4 hour EASY with a 2 hour nap in the morning 2 hour in the afternoon and a 40 min nap around 5/6 pm. She is down for the night at around 7.30. She is very easy to get to sleep and I have had no problems with her. At 10 weeks she slept from 7.30pm to 6.30am but only did this for one week. She now gets up at 2am for a full feed. I figure that she's hungry as she takes a full feed then. I'm quite happy to get up and feed her but EVERYONE else (health Visitor, other mums, in laws etc) keep saying that if she's gone through til 6.30 before she should be doing it now and that I should cut out the 2am feed. Your thoughts would be appreciated. (she doesn't have a DF should I introduce one?) Thanks.

Offline calebs mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
Re: Am I wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 20:29:07 pm »
I think trying the dream feed might help.  If she is hungry in the night, then you definitely need to feed her.  You are doing the right thing.  If she were just taking a little of the feed, I might think it was do to habit, but it sounds like she is really hungry.  Try the dream feed and see if it helps.  Although some babies at that age can make it without a night feed, most still need it.  I know it is hard when everyone has an opinion, but just remember... you are the mommy and you know what your baby needs more than anyone else.   :)
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline Diegos Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 21:30:56 pm »
Wiggle in extra feeds during the day -- those extra daytime calories really did the trick for both of my boys. You might do a dreamfeed as well as the previous poster mentioned.  14 weeks is still pretty young, so if it doesn't work, go ahead with the nighttime feed especially since she's hungry.  You can eventually transfer that feed to daytime.

Lots of folks begin cutting back ounces or minutes nursed one at at time and then adding those calories to daytime, gradually diminishing the nightfeed over the course of a month. Could try that as it's gradual and you'll be keeping the caloric intake, just shifting it to daytime.

:)
Laura

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 12:04:51 pm »
Babies change all the time i remember ds #1 slept thru from df for 1 week at 10 weeks then stopped for a week or 2 then slept through for a week around 13 weeks then stopped till will weaned him at 16 weeks and only then did he become more consistent.  Now on ds #2 who is also 14 weeks he has slept till 6am once was going between 4-5am but last 2 days soooo hungry at 2.30am.  Though putting this down to growth spurt for now.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline bay lass

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 14:54:50 pm »
Thanks for all your advice. Although last night she slept right through til 5am! Here's hoping we get another good night tonight. :)