Author Topic: please look at our schedule and help!!  (Read 1063 times)

Offline rubyd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:25:44 pm »
Hi everyone

wonder if you could give me some suggestions. DS is 5 months 1 week old and is waking between 1 and 3 times a night. We've just got rid of the dummy (been free for 8 days - he's done so well) because after last weeks 5 wakes a night I thought the dummy might be causing the wakes as often i'd just re-plug and he'd go off. He's not woken as many times but last week when we first weaned the dummy he had two amazing nights - sleeping through till 5.20 and 5.50 am. Last night he woke at 2am, 5.20, and 6.10. He fed at 2 and 5.20 (I couldnt' get him to settle without). But i'm so confused what is causing it. Here's my questions answered: About 5 weeks ago, he went on a feeding strike with his milk. not sure what caused it - partly a cold brewing, partly distractions, and he's never gone back to eating like he did. I've introduced solids under direction from my paed (he's had reflux as a little baby) and so this may be partly why he doesn't eat as much milk now, but he basically never went back to having the full 7oz bottles 5 feeds a day, that he used to.

How old is your child? 5 months 1 week
What’s his/her daily routine?

7.15am wakes up and eats. Breast followed by about 3 oz
8am Awake
9am Sleep
11am Eat breast and 4 oz bottle. 2 tablespoons veggies and a drink offered
12 Awake
1 sleep
3 Eat breast and 4 oz bottle
Awake
5 catnap (45 mins)
5.45 eats 3 teaspoons of baby rice made up with 3 tbs milk, and two spoons of pear/apple
6.15 awake (bath)
7.00 bed wind-down bottle and breast (4 ozs bottle)
7.30 sleep

What's bedtime routine? Time? His bed time routine is bath, quiet play with daddy, breast and bottle in quiet room, then sleep.

Do you bottle or breastfed?? I think he gets 2-4 oz per feed from teh breast, tehn bottle top up

How much? or how long?
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) bpth
How many wakes per night? 1-3
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Wakes i think when rolling onto his back (he's a tummy sleeper) but not easy to calm other than by feeding. I pick him up and he roots at my face which I think means he's hungry but maybe not. I only breast feed at night and he has both breasts so it's not just comfort sucking although now we're paci free perhaps it partly is.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? It's a proper cry, have moved baby alarm into kitchen so i only hear it when he's crying

What have you tried to settle?? shh pat and a kind of rocking thing i do when he's in the cot , i rock his bottom a bit and usually it transitions a cry into a mantra cry.

What do you do for A time and how long is it? he bounces in his tippitoes, sits in his baby nest, sing, play games
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? maybe teething. He's started rolling from front where he sleeps, to back. don't think he can do the reverse

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) see above
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
Do they have a lovie? have offered him a blankie with a teddy head but it actually gets him worked up as he tries to get it all in his mouth so tend to take it away

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: please look at our schedule and help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 12:47:47 pm »
I'm no expert but my ds is 3 months old also has reflux.  also told by gp to try baby rice early which we did first few days were fine 1 tsp baby rice (slept thru till 6) then a milk strike began so to compensate i upped the rice big mistake he woke every hour 2 nights running.  First i though it was dummy then i realised milk had dropped and it had only started since we increased the rice so stopped rice and went straight back to normal though still won't take as much milk as he used to.  The give away for me was he had eyes closed wasn't screaming but was squirming pulling up legs.  Rice can be very difficult for them to digest and can bloat them.  Might be worth cutting out rice and keeping to fruit and veg.  Just an idea
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 16:38:12 pm »
LOs also often go off food and/or bottle when they're teething - is that possible?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Petra-Kate

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 14:16:28 pm »
I am having problems with my 7 1/2 month and sleeping. So I certainly no expert either.  My DS has acid reflux as well.  The pediatrician prescribed Axid (just one of several drugs that can help) to control it.  It helps a lot.  Family and friends suggested giving rice cereal early to us.  We spoke to our pediatrician (who is wonderful - we are very lucky to have him) about rice cereal. 

He strongly recommended against starting rice cereal early.  He pointed out that rice cereal has less caloric value than formula.  If he needs to eat more, my physician felt that upping formula was better. Once we started cereals, he had us skip rice cereal altogether because it can cause bloating and constipation (something DS sometimes had issues with).  Instead we started with oatmeal.  DS started with a nursing strike too.  We just stopped solids for a few weeks and re-started and everything was ok.  I hope that helps with the food issue.

If your baby is hungry he may need to eat more during the day. Our pediatrician suggested upping daytime feedins instead of night feedings - especially if he was sleeping through a feeding beforehand.  Until this week that has worked (DS is having other food issues right now.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but I hope it is.   
Petra-Kate, Mommy to Marius