Author Topic: From swaddle to sleeping bag.......... but whats next??  (Read 2207 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
From swaddle to sleeping bag.......... but whats next??
« on: September 28, 2006, 18:33:13 pm »
Hi

Calum was successfully weaned from swaddle to sleeping bag at 5 months, we have been using a sleeping bag since then.

I notice he is starting to outgrow the bags we are using, what is the alternative to sleeping bags? or is everyone else still using them past 12 months.

Calum is an 'active' sleeper so I am not sure how he would handle sheets  :-\

I would love to hear what everyone is doing for a 12 month old.

TIA
Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
Re: From swaddle to sleeping bag.......... but whats next??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 19:11:40 pm »
Lauren,

we continued to use the gro bag until Ciara was about 2 I think.  We then used a duvet with the grobag on top (the grobag is her cuddly blanket that trails everyplace with us!)

I love the grobag for 'adventurous' sleepers!
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 19:13:57 pm »
With the cold weather approaching in many places it seems sleep coverings has become the hot topic.  (oops, no pun intended).  My dd never would tolerate a sleeping bag and blankets are a problem with an active sleeper.  I use thick fleece sleepers but I would use a sleeping/grobag for as long as your ds will tolerate it or at least until he figures out how to get out of it. 

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 19:19:34 pm »
You can get grobags up until at least 36 months and sometimes up until 5 years if I am not mistaken? I have 2 for dd which go up to 36 months so can get another year out of them hopefully. The other thing is if you know someone enterprising enough you can get them made and probably for less than you buy them. Mine are .5 togs as they are what I use most of the year but got a 1 tog ( more or less) made by my friend when she went on vacation this year, looks great and cost me about 15 euro .

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 19:21:50 pm »
You definately can get them up to 5.  My friends son was still in one when he started school  ;D
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 19:24:24 pm »
I have recently bought the next size up for ds - 18 to 36 months.

I plan on using them for the forseeable, especially this Winter. Ds is the ultimate adventurous sleeper, he does laps of his cot every night :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 19:58:20 pm »
Yup, H is in gro-bag up to 36 months. I have various togs 0.5, 1.0 and 2.5 depending on the weather! He can walk around in his quite happily too - hilarious (should be good in a sack race when he goes to school!)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 20:32:28 pm »
hmm HarrisonsMummy never thought of the sack race  :D

Offline franchick

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 20:36:17 pm »
Our wee Katie is also a very active sleeper. She started to get very fussy about her growbag when the warmer weather came in, so we just put her down in her jammies. Now it is colder, I dug out a lovely fluffy dressing gown that someone bought her, just to wrap up before bedtime. Now we can hardly get her out of it and she sleeps in it all night! In the morning she is very reluctant to part with it.... but the plus it, I think she sleeps better and has almost adopted it as her lovey.

The only thing is, I do worry that her feet will get cold, but she really doesn't tolerate a blanket much - she gets a bit annoyed if I put one on her, although she loves one for walks out in the buggy!  She is a mystery sometimes  ::)

Offline Isabella and Scarletts mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 20:39:11 pm »
We stopped using a sleeping bag for DD1 at about 18 months, as she learned how to unfasten it, over the summer we just used a fleece blanket, and she now has a duvet, she does kick it off, but i cover her when i go to bed, and check again if me or DH wake in the night. As it's getting cooler, i'm going to get her some fleecy pyjamas with feet so if she does kick it off, she won't be too cold. :)
Amy

Isabella Jane 26.11.04
Scarlett Rose 16.03.06

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 22:36:01 pm »
Catherine still uses one now and i will use it until the weather gets warmer. I will probably use one next winter as well but i want to get one with feet in it. Catherine also likes to do laps of her cot and i think i will continue to use one until she goes into her big bed at around 3yrs.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 11:04:49 am »
I can see William being in a sleeping bag until he is about 26  - he is a very active chappy and likes to fall asleep in all sorts of different directions....lol... I saw some pretty big ones in mothercare recently so I am encouraged that he will for into one until hes at least big enough to go into a big boy bed.

H x

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 11:50:12 am »
I bought a 12 month to 3year bag from TK Maxx yesterday  ;D
Lauren x

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 12:02:46 pm »
dd1 used a grobag until 22 months, we stopped using it when she found her way out of it, a real pain at nap times, we moved to one with feet, she loved them, fleece with pretty prints, since she has moved to a bed we have added a blanket and pillow and a side rail, she real love all of it, for us it is when can we get rid of it completely, we do not use it for naps anymore, lucky we have warmer weather, it is still unfortunately part of the night time routine, she is 26 months was always an adventours sleeper in the cot, calmed down heaps in the bed but still adventours on occasions

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 14:56:26 pm »
My dd still uses it and I'll keep her in it until she's 6 (grobag makes it till 6 years old) or until she decides that she doesn't want it.

I was thinking about whether I should wean her off it or not, dh wants her out of it, but she doesn't like the duvet. I tried it one evening and she was using the bed as a trampoline, so that decided it for me. I'm sure once she's out of the sleeping bag I'll have to deal with her coming into our bed, going downstairs, creating havoc in her room, etc. I'm so not ready for that.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.  ;D

Cheers,

Catharine