Author Topic: Simple and Quick toddler recipes  (Read 5213 times)

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Simple and Quick toddler recipes
« on: September 30, 2006, 21:56:40 pm »
Can we share quick and simple toddler recipes, and some advice on what to keep in the fridge, freezer, cupboard that we can use to make healthy meals.
As a childminder, I am often cutting it fine for meal times, what with school runs and playgroups etc and I do keep frozen veg, pasta,rice, etc, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Simple and Quick toddler recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 07:57:04 am »
I have a couple of quick lunch ideas:

Put an egg in a bowl (I just use one for ds but you'd obviously need more), add some milk, some grated cheese and some finely chopped spinach (I use fresh, you could use frozen, but you'd have to drain it and dab with kitchen towel to get rid of the excess water). Whisk with a fork. Put it in the microwave for a minute, then whisk again, and then put it back in the microwave until cooked. Serve on toast. Ds loves this :).

Ds also loves sardines/mackerel on toast - you know the ones in the tins in tomato sauce? This is his favourite meal. And the easiest thing to make ever :).

One of his favourite dinner recipes:
Fry off some onions, add some cooked brown rice. I then add some balsamic vinegar, some frozen peas/sweetcorn. Mix well. Let it cook in the pan (covered) for a couple of minutes on low until the frozen veg is warmed through. Then I add some cooked meat - either leftovers from a cooked chicken/beef, or cooked sliced meat from the supermarket - ham/turkey/beef/etc.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread, always need dinner ideas :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline mari

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:14:55 am »
Quote (selected)
Fry off some onions, add some cooked brown rice. I then add some balsamic vinegar, some frozen peas/sweetcorn. Mix well. Let it cook in the pan (covered) for a couple of minutes on low until the frozen veg is warmed through. Then I add some cooked meat - either leftovers from a cooked chicken/beef, or cooked sliced meat from the supermarket - ham/turkey/beef/etc
Tried this, and it went down a treat. Thanks.

I make a very quick Cauliflower cheese.  Flour, milk and butter in pan and when right consistency add cheese, I microwave the cauliflower and pur the sauce over, then I add a little grated cheese and put under the grill until brown.  Careful to ensure that it's cool enough before serving, cheese can really burn.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 17:15:05 pm »
Great, glad they liked it :D

Just made this for ds - there's lots of satisfied slurping going on :D

Cook their fave pasta (ds likes the long wiggly shapes ;)). Make a quick tuna mayo - small can of tuna, mayonnaise to taste, either sweetcorn or peas (or both), and I add some poppy seeds too. Mix together with pasta and serve either lukewarm or cool.

We seem to be the only ones posting, perhaps every one else is making long complicated recipes for their los :-[ ;)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 17:35:11 pm »
Nope, just not that creative.   ;D
My latest was chocolte malt o meal with a spoonful of soy butter stirred in.  Tasted and smelled wonderful.  Plus extra calories and protein for miss picky mouse. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline mari

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 18:11:44 pm »
To be honest, I chuck in what I have in the cupboard or fridge!!!  They are doing ok with that though, and they are less fussy for the concoctions that I create, but I am the least creative where it comes to cooking, in fact, I hate cooking and only do it because we have to eat.
Thnaks for the ideas, keep them coming, I am running out of ideas and need a fresh menu.

Offline Messa

• Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 19:14:26 pm »
Beef Storganaugh (sp)
ILB ground beef (can also use chuck steak simmered for a couple hours in beef boulion)
can of cream of mushroom
small container of sour cream

can of mushrooms

brown hamburger (or use the round steak)
poor in cream of mushroom and sour cream and mushrooms
heat until almost simmering
put on noodles or rice

Melissa

Offline mari

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 19:23:44 pm »
Melissa, that sounds great, I have ammended my online shopping that I did earlier and have added those ingredients, I will try it tomorrow.  If they don't like it, I'm sure that I will.  ;D

Offline Messa

• Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 19:29:22 pm »
I love it!!!!  It is so yummy and easy one of our favorite meals here but thought it could fit into a toddlers diet ;)
Melissa

Offline LilysMum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:21:45 am »
Really quick and easy 'cheat' sauces with pasta.

In a pan combine cooked pasta, veges, chicken etc.  Warm through on a low heat with a dollop of cream cheese - viola!  Instant creamy sauce.

Combine the same as above, add in part of a jar of pureed organic vegetables, warm through and serve topped with grated cheese (if introduced).   Really quick and easy and makes a change from the usual tomato or cheese pasta sauce, and useful if your older child is becoming picky with veges as they generally won't realise that is what the sauce consists of.

Offline Isaac's_mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 02:29:26 am »
I ussually cook up a bunch of pasta and put butter on it an keep it in the fridge. Then for lunch or dinner I mix some pasta with some frozen veggies, whatever meet is left over from the night before or I cut up some chicken nuggets or some canned red or black beans, and sometimes I add some tomato sauce or cheese sauce to it, and microwave it.

Another easy meal is quiche, I buy a spinach or broccoli one at the store and bake it when I get a chance, then just reheat it at meal time.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80