Author Topic: so is anyone else worried about the impending time change?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
Re: so is anyone else worried about the impending time change?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 15:31:53 pm »
Sarah, thanks for the info.  We've struggled with early wakings and short naps his whole life!!  I've tried earlier bedtimes in the past, but no luck.  He has reflux so that has been a constant battle too. 

It certainly doesn't hurt to try again I guess!  I am just happy he sleeps thorugh the night especially with baby boy #2 due in January!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Gigismom

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 23:11:12 pm »
gianna has a hard time with going to bed later too, that's why i'm going to try the gradual approach.

i hope it works.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 00:15:35 am »
Over the years I've gone back and forth with this. I've discovered a few things:

Yes, in the summer I get more time in the AM, but then I also get NO time with DH in the evenings with kids falling asleep around 8-9PM, depending on the evening and how they may or may not have napped during the day. As much as I like sleeping in the mornings, right now I REALLY want my evenings back!

There are a lot of AM noises here that act as cues for the girls to wake up. We live close to a commuter and freight train line and when the commuter train sounds (and even regular road traffic sounds from a half-mile away) cut through right after their last REM cycle in the mornings, that's about it, And if that doesn't do it, the sounds of the traffic plane buzzing the trees of our neighborhood >:( right before 7:30AM does it most of the time. When the clocks change, so do when those sounds happen relative to their sleep cycle, which is a BIIIIIG help (assuming no sirens - we also live close to one of the roads the fire trucks regularly take :().

When Josie was little, I was able to tweak her bedtime a bit at time changes by messing with the amount of activity and light she got at the end of the day. If necessary, I could also get her to catnap with a little car trip somewhere. ;) That way I could move her bedtime later - at least till the least little sleep during the day meant she'd be up till past 10PM. :(

At this point, I'm not gonna stress it. The girls keep stretching out their days these days, so by the time change I should be able to get them to bed at 7:30, spend a nice couple hours w/DH, and get myself to bed around 10PM. Anything important after that, well, that's why we have a video recorder, right? :)

Offline Raquelita1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 08:08:11 am »
I'm worried too!  At the moment we're trying to sort out early waking, so i just hope we can achieve that before we have to tackle daylight saving....  If we do, then i'll probably try 10-15 minute increments for her feeding, nap and bed times over a few days.  And if that doesn't work, i'll get radical.....  This is something we did when we went to the UK in the summer where they are 1 hour behind - she hadn't slept too well on the plane on the way over in the afternoon, so we put her down for a nap about an hour before normal bedtime after her dinner, let her sleep an hour, then got her up for a bit, bathed, gave her her milk then put her to bed about an hour and a half later than normal.  It pretty much worked and she slept about an hour later in the morning, i.e. so she was on UK time.  I can't vouch for whether this was a good strategy with lasting results, as being on holiday every day's routine was slightly different.  But at least here at home if the incremental approach doesn't work, i can try this radical approach for one day and know that i can stick to the new times every day to see if the effects last.  Anyway, there's my tuppence worth!   :) 

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 19:27:41 pm »
Interesting idea!

This morning, I was thinking that it might take an extra nap that weekend to get to regular bedtime and then hopefully we can be back on track.  Until then, I think, like Deb, all we can do it not stress it...it will work out!