Author Topic: Waking up too early - should I wait till 7am before 1st feed?  (Read 876 times)

Offline OliviaM

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking up too early - should I wait till 7am before 1st feed?
« on: October 01, 2006, 04:52:47 am »
Hi,
My 3mths old boy is on 3 hr EASY. I try to start the day at 7am (E). However, often he wakes up anywhere between 6 and 7am, so I was wondering whether I should wait will 7am before his first feed (ie let him lay in his cot) or whether I should feed him as soon as he wakes up (in which case his EASY times will vary each day). I tried Sch-pat/dummy to get him go back to sleep for another 1/2 - 1 hr if he is awake early, but nothing seem to work - he is just too alert and wants to play!

This morning he was awake at 6am and I left him in his cot till 6:45am before I fed him. As a result, he started grizzling and rubbing his eyes at 7:30am, so I had to put him to sleep then. He woke up at 8:45am instead of the planned 9:45am as he was fully rested by then. My next dilemma was - should I let him play till 9:45am or should I try and feed him early, thus minimizing the time between S and next E?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Olivia

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Waking up too early - should I wait till 7am before 1st feed?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 05:19:55 am »
Hi Olivia,

We started EASY about the same age as your LO.  If my DS woke up early, I'd try to feed him immediately and adjust our EASY routine with his wake up time for that day.  Also, I'd watch for his cues if he got tired earlier and try to put him down earlier and readjust our routine.  I wouldn't say to completely watch the clock but a mix of watching the clock and your LO's cues.   I've also tried to start our days at a certain time 7:30 am but some days we start earlier and some days we start later, depends when LO wakes up.  But I have at times had to wake up LO because of specific errands that we have.

IMO, by leaving LO in his cot until 6:45am, really you are doing AEASY instead of EASY.  Thus causing your routine to be off.  I based all my feedings/routine on the time DS woke up that day.  So for your LO, his feedings would have been at 6am, 9am, 12pm, etc and it looks likes when your LO woke up at 8:45am he was probably expecting to be fed.

HTH

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 19:10:12 pm »
I agree with the above post as well..when DS was the same age his wake up time did vary, and we just went with it depending on wake up time. I think thats the whole "routine" aspect of EASY rather than a schedule. Good Luck
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline OliviaM

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 23:53:57 pm »
Thanks for your reply, ladies. Will try to readjust according to his wake up time.