Author Topic: 9 month old just started waking at night  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Taylas Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 01, 2006, 23:10:41 pm »
My nine month old has been on E.A.S.Y since the beginning and has always slept well through the night (about 10 hours) until recently.  She got her first cold and that started the problems.  I did PU/PD  or just PD when she would wake up during her cold and now that she's over the cold I have to continue to do it.  I do it exactly as Tracy says to do.  She wakes up 3 to 7 times per night at different times each night.  A couple of days ago I think she went through a growth spurt b/c she was hungry and would take a bottle, but she's over that and is still waking up.  We have not been able to eliminate the dream feed, though.  She is average size but will not sleep all night without the dream feed.  When she wakes up, she's crying and standing up in her crib.  I just lay her down and put the pacifier back in and she goes back to sleep for a few hours and then does it again.  She's also going through separation anxiety so I don't know if that is causing the problem.  Does anyone know where I went wrong or what to do?

How old: 9 months
Routine:
7am wake up and breast feed
7:15-8 play
8am rice cerial and fruit
8:15-9:15 play
9:15 - 10:30 apx. nap
11:00am breast feed
11:15-12:30 play or run errands
12:30 vegetable and finger foods
1-2 play
2pm(apx.) - 3pm nap
3pm breast feed
3:15-5:30 play
5:30 dinner
6-7 play
7pm breast feed
7:15 bath
8pm bed
10:30 dream feed

Bedtime routine: take a bath, put on pj's, wrap up in blanket and hold for a few minutes and then put down with pacifier

Bottle or breastfeed: usually breast feed all but dream feed.  If she's still hungery after breastfeeding I'll give her about 3 oz. in a bottle.  I feed her on both sides at each feed, but I alternate which one I start with.

A time: playing with books and toys, following mom around the house, pulling up and crawling, going to lunch or shopping with mom, playing in exersauser watching Baby Einstein DVD

Developmental issues: She has 6 teeth and has not gotten a new tooth for a month or so.  She is just learning to hold onto things and walk ( like the coffee table)

Tayla's Mom     
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 23:24:01 pm by Taylas Mom »

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 9 month old just started waking at night
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 03:13:31 am »
hi Tayla's mom
  hopefully someone with more experience can step in here as well, but if you go in and she's standing it seems like it's a developmental issue.  You said she's just started to hold on to things and walk, so maybe she's "practicing" in her sleep and then is stuck.  My LO is only 7-months and not even crawling yet so I haven't got much experience with what to do with the developmental thing, but I think you're on the right track, just doing pu/pd to get her to settle. Hopefully she'll get past the point where this development is so new to her, and will go back to sleeping through. good luck, and here's a (((hug))) from one night-waking mom to another!

-regina

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 16:16:05 pm »
At this age the DF can be contributing to your NW.  How much does she have?  When we cut out our DF it took us three weeks to actually get the ounces from the DF to the rest of the day. We were at 6 ounces and I did it like this.

5oz for 5 days
4oz for 5 days
3oz for 5 days
2oz for 3 days
1oz for 3 days

You can also move it up by 15-30 min with each less ounce but I found moving the time made for more NW.

Also if she has just learned to pull up and is doing so when you go in that can be the reason.  And SA as well means you have lots going on. 

I would cut out the DF and keep doing what you are doing.  Use your pd when she wakes and make sure you always go to her right away because she will get past the SA faster that way.

Offline Taylas Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 14:30:19 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I actually just started eliminating the DF and it seems to be helping.  I started the night that I wrote that post.  She's making it all night without eating and she's waking up less, but still waking up.  It's now one to two times a night and she wakes up at 6:30 or 6:45am instead of 7.  But this is still progress so I guess I'll just keep it up and see if the nights get back to normal.

Tayla's Mom

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 17:07:08 pm »
Great job ;D