Author Topic: Allergy Test Negative to Milk Protein Allergy, Could He still be Intolerant?  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Hiya - Was in this forum and wanted to check in to see how things were going with Zach.  I hope things are better.  Let us know!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Hello:  Thanks so much for checking in.  We actually took him to the Children's Hospital Feeding Clinic today. 

Since 8 months old he has went down on the weight curve.  They are worried that he is not gaining enough weight.  Also he has had 3 infections since August and 1 viral infection.  He has been on 3 antibotics.

They are testing him for Celiace Disease, Malabsorption, his Immunoglobulins and his stool for toxins, etc.

They also want us to switch him to all Pediasure instead of milk.

We will have some answers soon.

Thanks for checking in!  wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

Poor little thing. Keep us posted!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Glad you went to the clinic Wendy - and glad they are trying to get to the bottom of this. Definitely keep us posted - big hugs to you and Zach.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

binxyboo

As I think I told you before, we are on rice milk. He was the fussiest eater for a long time, but slowly but surely we are turning a corner and he is eating a bit more. Hope things work out okay.Did you ever do the dairy elimination diet that we talked about a long time ago?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 15:41:04 pm by binxyboo »

Offline Mydreamcametrue

Hey there:  I was scaired to do the dairy elimanation diet, just because I was so nervous about him not eating. 

I am just going to wait for these results and go from there.  I do know one thing for sure though, since he has been drinking this Pediasure he has had some really really bad gas.  It does not seem to bother him, but stinky.... LOL

Thanks for all your thoughts, our first feeding therapy is Monday.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

I hope things get better soon. I don't want to seem pushy, but if I were you, I would get him off the dairy. All the signs are there that he is not tolerating it well. Anyway, just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

I know, but they are so worried about his weight now because he has gone down on the curve since 8 months old.

I will have more answers once the results come in...

Wendy -

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Just a thought... Pediasure is lactose free but is still milk protein based.  So if he is milk protein intolerant, Pediasure is going to cause him problems also.

My little boy Palmer is milk and soy protein intolerant.  I am in the process of weaning him to rice milk.  I just bought some rice protein powder to add to the rice milk.  He gets 1/2 an avocodo every day plus I add Flax seed oil to his meals. 

There are some other supplement that might be more appropriate... Peptamin Jr is milk based, but the proteins are more broken down. 

Cassie (Formerly Duncan'sMom!)
Mom to Duncan 9/15/02 and Palmer 11/28/05

"Motherhood, like an addiction, must be taken one day at a time".

Offline Mydreamcametrue

Cassie:  How did you know that your son was Milk and Soy Protein Intolerant, not allergic?

- We got Zach's test results in and he has to be re-tested for several things because they screwed it up.  Also his Alkaline Phospahtase level (the enzymes found in your liver and bones) was elevated :( 

- Now we are on #4 antibotic because he has yet again ANOTHER infection.  His ears are clear, no strep, but his white blood cell count is high.  So he is now getting shots of antibotics.

Does the repeated infections sound like an intolerant to the milk protein?

Thanks Wendy
Wendy -

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Some of his tummy issues could be due to all of the antibiotics.  I would try giving him some probiotics.  Just make sure they are dairy/soy free.  I found one fairly easily.

I knew P was dairy/soy intolerant because he is normal a very happy go lucky baby, but every time I ate/drink dairy or soy he got really crabby, refused to sleep, had mucousy stools and got this really bad diaper rash that went from a totally fine butt to red and bleeding it like 1 hour.  One day he was up for 13 hours straight screaming.  So I started keeping a food dairy and realized the connection.  Dairy and soy is the first thing I tell women to eliminate from their diets if they suspect a food intolerance... within a week of eliminating both dairy and soy I saw a difference.
Cassie (Formerly Duncan'sMom!)
Mom to Duncan 9/15/02 and Palmer 11/28/05

"Motherhood, like an addiction, must be taken one day at a time".

Offline Mydreamcametrue

I have been giving him probiotics for about 2 weeks now, but you know they are not dairy free.  Not this kind. 

Do you know a name of some that are diary free?

Okay this is gross, but a diaper full of muscus looks like you just blew your nose in it right?  Or is that normal.  I can't even remember what a child's normal poop is supposed to look like because Zach used to be so constiptaped he screamed when he went to the bathroom, now when he goes it is a major blow out and it looks like snot in it or it has everything he just ate in it... 
Wendy -

binxyboo

Mucous all right

Offline Mydreamcametrue

That is what I thought, but DH just says it looks like sh*t to him and then wants to throw up.  It does not bother me at all,  but he cannot stand it at all.

Thanks!
Wendy -