Author Topic: Hunger or habit? What to do?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Little Mo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hunger or habit? What to do?
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:22:00 am »
I need some help to figure out why my 5 months old wakes at night. I know at this age they can be hungry at night, but I also suspect he is getting up out of habit as well. Here it how a typical night goes:

Goes to bed at 7.30-8 Usually falls asleep without the paci. If he is very tired he sucks it until almost asleep then spits it out.
First wake 11 p.m. He stirs and some times wakes up completely. Sometimes goes back to sleep on his own, sometimes I have to put in the paci for a few seconds.
1 a.m. He breast feeds. I put him in bed awake and goes back to sleep on his own.
4.30 a.m. Wakes again. Breastfeeds and goes to sleep as above.
7 a.m. wakes for the day

If I do not feed him, I have to give him the paci but he will get up 1 hour later anyway.

To be honest I think some times he is not that hungry but is very used to this routine- pick up, breast and then back in bed. I suppose he needs the breast to relax enough to go to sleep and the milk is just a bonus. Same thing happens if I offer a bottle.

Below are our background details:

4 months and 3 weeks old
He is on a 4 hour routine. Still working on extending his A times. He currently does about 90 minutes.
Nap routine: close blinds, put on a lullaby and dance slowly with him in my arms.
Naps: 3 naps of 1.5 hours and sometimes cat nap of 30-45 minutes before bedtime
Bedtime routine: bath, massage, bottle of EBM, bed. Goes to bed around 7.30 p.m.
He eats EBM during the day and BF at night
Eats around 5 Oz per feeding during the day. For the last feeding he takes around 7 oz. During the night, he empties the breast pretty well
Wakes 2-3 times per night
When he wakes he is fussing. If not attended he gets louder and louder until I come in. After I go in, he is back asleep in about 15 minutes (BF included).
He sometimes gets up and practices different sounds he learned how to make during the day. He can do this for a long time (last night he did it for 45 minutes until I gave in and offered the breast and he went back to sleep in 10 minutes.) and when I go into his room he gets very happy and excited. I never look him in the eyes, never talk to him or smile back at night.
I tried to ignore him and hope he will go back to sleep but usually does not work. Pat shush gets him more awake and alert.

For his A time we take walks, tummy time, play with his rattle toys, sing.
He is not rolling yet (neither front to back, nor back to front), not teething yet.
No cereals.
For the night I do not think the paci is a prop since he does not need it always or spits it out quickly when he uses it. But it definitely is for naps.
He has a soft toy as lovie but does not seem interested of it at night.

When he was younger he slept much better. He could take 7-8 hours stretches of uninterrupted sleep. It all changed about 6 weeks ago all of a sudden.

We also extended his naps from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.

Since he is fairly easy to calm I don't mind getting up at night, but I am afraid he is getting into some dangerous habits and would rather stop it now than later.

Any ideas?

Monica

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:37:08 am »
Is he waking at exactly the same times each night?   If so probably habit.  The fact that he wakes 1hr later could indicate hunger or as he woke once this could interfere with his sleep. if he is pretty much waking at same times each night give W2S a shot it works really well for habit waking.  if after 3 nights he reverts to same pattern then probably hungry.  W2s has always worked well for us.   Try it on the first waking of the night at 1am if i was you.  Have you ever offered a dream feed at 11?  This can be a great way to feed just once in the night.  if your lo is waking around every 3 1/2hrs you may find he sleeps till 2.30/3am then not till 6ish.  Just a couple of ideas.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline NikiJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 164
Re: Hunger or habit? What to do?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:56:32 am »
Hi Monica

Have you tried a dream feed?  If not, it might break him out of the habit at night.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:04:49 am »
Hi there - dd1 was waking up every night until she was 9 months old at around 11pm (dreamfeed, I guess) and around 4am. I would feed her (EBM) and then back to bed. Around 9 months I noticed her sleeping through the 11pm feed and when I would go in at 4am, she started drinking less and less from the bottle (in fact, she started playing with the bottle more than drinking from it). From then onwards, I just stopped going in and she would over 3-4 nights sleep straight through.

I did not find this site until dd1 was 12 months so I have not heard that waking at the same time is habitual (until now that is). But I would think that if your lo is waking an hour after you put the dummy in, then it is likely he is hungry. It is not uncommon for lo's to wake up once or twice for night feeds when they are so little (mine did until 9 months). Just keep it low-key and no playing. I would say if he has a decent meal (you know, not a sip) then he is truely hungry.

Just my opinion though. Hope it helps. ;D
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:44:06 am »
Hi
My DD was waking around 4-5am every night at 4months taking quite a good feed but then not being hungry in morning, so I used PU/PD for 3/4 nights and from then she slept through, I also dreamfeed at that time I was feeding at 11pm.  Since then its bed time at 7pm DF at 10.30pm and wake at 7am. 
The other thing we did is put her in her own room as I think we were all disturbing each others sleep. 
She does frequently now wake at 6-6.30am but she will talk and sing to herself for 15-20mins then fall back to sleep until I wake her at 7am.
Hope this is helpful

Offline Little Mo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:05:08 am »
Ladies, thank you so much for answering so soon!
I will take it step by step and see if I can fix this or at least understand what's really behind it: hunger or not.
I will try a DF for a few nights and see what happens and I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again very very much!
Monica
Monica

Offline Little Mo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 06:33:30 am »
Hi there! I just wanted to let you know how we did last night.
I prepared his 11 pm DF and just as I was entering the room I discovered he was awake, starting to fuss. I fed him anyway and he took a full feed and the slept until 4.30 am when he woke for his next feed. Then back to sleep until 7 am.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight when I hope I will do a real DF.
Monica
Monica

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 07:47:43 am »
Yay Monica! I hope the same goes for tonight and you can get some rest  ;D.

Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline NikiJ

• Showing Appreciation 164
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 08:04:08 am »
Well done Monica ;D ;D  Hope it keeps working well

Offline dillsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • keeping myself busy!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 08:49:08 am »
Well done,you did something I can't seem to do.Make him sleep for more than 3 hours before waking is not possible in our house,even when I dream feed he still wakes every 2-3 hours...
Dummy has been gone for 3 weeks now but still he wakes up,can't seem to soothe himself...

So VERY WELL DONE ;D

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 09:02:28 am »
Excellant news, and dont worry if he never sleeps through the dreamfeed my DD always wakes up as I get her out of bed but always goes back down no problem.
Well done xx

Offline Little Mo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 07:41:35 am »
I DFed him last night at 10.30 pm. He did not take much though, around 3.5 oz. After that he seemed annoyed by the bottle and kept pushing it away with his tongue, so I did not insist.
But, surprise! He woke up at 1.30 am ! I tried to ignore him as I thought he can not be hungry after 3 hours. But he did not go to sleep, he was not very angry but fussing a lot. After 1 hour  :o I went in, Bfed him and he went back to sleep until 7.30 this morning.

To be honest, I'd rather feed him when he wakes so that we can both get back to sleep quickly, rather than go through 45 mins  - 1 hour of fussing, turning, tossing etc with no result.

I'll try again tonight anyway, I may take up to 1 week for the DF to work. If not, I will also try W2S. Do you know when should I go in: 1 hour, 30 mins before his usual waking time?

Thanks for the support!

Monica