Author Topic: Teething wake ups  (Read 888 times)

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Teething wake ups
« on: October 02, 2006, 14:24:36 pm »
My Ds is 6 months and is cutting his first tooth, i'm sure this is the cause for his non-hunger wake ups. What can we do about this? The doctor said to give tylenol before bed - but can I do that everynight? It does seem to work when I give it to him. Can I give him tylenol before bed at 7p AND when he wakes to eat (1 time between 1am and 4am -different time every night). Is it not appropriate to give so much tylenol? My mother insists to use Whiskey ???

Offline texasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 19:00:17 pm »
My LO is cutting his first also...  I have wondered the exact same things, so I will be interested to hear what others would say...  I bought an herbal teething liquid.  It seems to help, but maybe not quite as much as the Tylenol.  I also got some Orajel to rub on the gum.  I do hate to use meds.  But I also don't want him to suffer.  Our doctor suggested teething tablets, so when I went to Walgreens, I looked, and this teething liquid is basically the same.  It's all natural... chamomile and things like that.  I don't like giving him anything, though.  But I do b/c I don't want him to hurt.  Oh, and one of the moderators said Motrin lasts longer than Tylenol.  I think she said it works better too. 

Offline CLJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 22:32:21 pm »
After 6 months old, you can use Infant Motrin (ask you doctor about the dosage - it goes by weight).  We give Motrin at night to make DS more comfortable during his teething for a longer period and try to forego it (if he's not too miserable) during the daytime hours.  You can give Motrin every 6 hours.  I notice it starts to wear off DS after about 5 1/2 hours.  The teeting gel lasts only a few minutes - it gets wiped off by all of baby's saliva.  And - whiskey?  Please!  You avoid alcohol while pregnant and certainly wouldn't give it to them just to drink, so why would anyone give it to their baby directly for teething?  Alcohol doesn't make your gums numb, it makes you drunk!!!  I guess if I were desperate 50 years ago for some relief for my LO I would have tried it, but it makes no sense to me now!!

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Teething wake ups
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 22:42:56 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with tylenol if you are within the appropriate dosage amounts and you do not exceed the24hour limit. Personally, I think your lo will benefit from not waking from pain and getting the sleep instead.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Teething wake ups
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 05:24:12 am »
I've given Baby Tylenol in the evenings before bed and if LO wakes up in the middle of the night, I have given the Hyland's Teething Tablets first before I give the Tylenol again.