Author Topic: early waking - and getting worse...  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Raquelita1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
early waking - and getting worse...
« on: October 02, 2006, 19:08:49 pm »
Hello

I'm at a loss to know what to do to try to get dd (13 months) to sleep till 8am in the mornings....  Currently she's waking up at 7am and will not go back to sleep.  I really don't want her to be getting up any earlier than 8am for various reasons including 1) she's at daycare 9-12.30 and is overtired and grouchy by the time I pick her up if she's awake since 7am, and yet still needs to have lunch before nap; 2) we live in Spain and having her on an earlier routine means she'd have to miss out on all afternoon activities as they don't start till late afternoon and not see daddy till weekends; 3) it's a nightmare having to get myself showered and ready in the mornings when she's already up and about!  ;)

This is her routine:
7am wake-up (ideal 8am...)
8.15 breakfast of beaker of milk, plus large bowl of cereal with milk and fruit
9-12.30 daycare with piece of fruit for snack around 11am
1pm lunch at home
1.30 down for nap (sleeps 2-2.5 hours, sometimes even 3 hours and then i have to wake her up)
4/4.30pm snack of fruit/yogurt
6/6.30 dinner
7.30 bath followed by large beaker of milk
normally asleep by 8.30pm

A couple of weeks ago she was habitually waking at 7.20 in the mornings, occasionally 6.40  :(, so I decided to try wake to sleep.   We've never had much success with it when I've tried to tackle the early wakings in the past, but now that she's in daycare I decided I have to do something so that she's not getting too tired by lunchtime.  Anyway, after a couple of nights of going in at 6.20 i got her to sleep till about 8am - yippee - but after a night or two of that she started waking at 7am instead.  This has been going on for days now.  It's really difficult to get a movement out of her at 6.20 as she's in such a deep sleep, but we have managed it - just!  Anyway, last night i couldn't be bothered to do it and she still woke at 7am, so i figure it's not that my wake-to-sleep technique is rousing her too much so that she only goes one more cycle of 40 minutes....  I just don't know what to do now.  I know this 'problem' might seem like nothing to others, but we've been through all sorts of sleep issues over the months and right now this is upsetting and frustrating me.  Please help! 

Rachel

(Sorry for long post but I wanted to get as much background info down as possible.)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Re: early waking - and getting worse...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:12:53 am »
if you don't mind, i'm going to move you to the sleeping for toddlers board.  they give great advice for sleeping issues with LOs over a year.
melissa