Author Topic: Possible Allergy & Alternatives to Cow's Milk?  (Read 893 times)

Offline rjr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Possible Allergy & Alternatives to Cow's Milk?
« on: October 02, 2006, 21:26:59 pm »
Hello,

My son is almost 10 months and is breastfed (will take bottle if I pump).  At 7.5 months I tried him on some full-fat yogurt to try and begin some dairy and getting some more weight on him (he had dropped in his gaining curve).  Day 2 of yogurt and he developed red blotches around his mouth, and some raised bumps there and on his hands/feet almost immediately after eating the yogurt.  No other symptoms of reaction appeared - poops, bum, mood, tummy all ok - but I immediately halted the yogurt and avoided dairy.

9 month checkup - doctor suggested that I try him on cow's milk now and restart dairy trial.  Ate 3oz bottle of 3% homo milk and had same reaction as with yogurt.  Does this sound like an allergy?  Have any of your children reacted this way, and if so, at what point could you reintroduce dairy successfully (in other words, did they grow out of it)?  He does not and has never reacted negatively to my dairy-filled diet.

He will be starting daycare when I return to work at the beginning of December and I need alternatives to cow's milk that he can have at daycare and at home.  Working with the dietician, we are also trying to up his fat intake, which is a bit tough with no dairy (going to try adding oils etc.).  Dietician suggested perhaps going to soy formula - I hate the idea of formula but is it my only option?  Has anyone tried it or anything else with success?  He has had soy cereal with no problems.  Should I bother going back to my doctor and getting him tested?  I heard that most allergy tests at this point are not accurate...

I live in Canada if that helps with prepping any answers.

Thank you!!!!   :D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Possible Allergy & Alternatives to Cow's Milk?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:55:18 am »
Yes, that does sound like a milk allergy or at least intolerance. Alternatives to cow's milk are soy milk and rice milk. Soy milk has more fat so that is a better option if your DS tolerates it.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline brodysmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Possible Allergy & Alternatives to Cow's Milk?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 15:10:06 pm »
As far as the testing goes a lot of times they are not fully accurate at this age.  You can give him milk and then take one of his diapers in to get tested.  If it has hidden blood in it, then more likely than not, he is has an intolerance to milk.  As far as formula goes, we had the best luck with Alimentum.  It is expensive, but it was the only one that my son could tolerate.  Good luck!