Author Topic: Smae family of food - is it a new food?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Smae family of food - is it a new food?
« on: October 03, 2006, 03:19:59 am »
Okay, just starting on solids and laying out a meal plan here.

I am wondering, with foods that are in the same family, do you have to treat each one like a new food and therefore give it 3-5 days as well?

Examples:

Peppers - red, orange, yellow, green
Squash - acorn, butternut, etc.
Rice - rice cereal, brown rice, wild rice, white rice
Cereals - if ds doesn't react to any of them (rice, oat, barley), can I assume he is safe to eat cheerios and baby mum mums when he is ready?

Neither DH nor myself have any food allergies and only my brother has food allergies in our immediate familys, so I am not really concerned about them, but want to be sure.

TIA
~Keri~

Offline *Kimberly*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
Re: Smae family of food - is it a new food?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:37:22 am »
The way I have done it is 3 days for each new food.  However I did not get picky about the type of squash or apple, etc.  I did the same with the cereals, though now he is on whole grains only.  If I had known they were out there I probably would have don't them first and not done the white carbs just because they are healthier.  Once Brendan had handled the grains, I went ahead and gave him the fruit puffs (cherrios/baby mum mums).  I did not give these items their own 3 day trial period.  Looking back I probably should have, just incase there was a reaction I would be able to know what food it belonged with.  I don't know anything about peppers, but I would assume that if he is okay with one then he is okay with all.

P.S. I am the same as you.  Hubby and I have no food allergies but my bro does.  :)

Kimberly
Brendan's Mom