Author Topic: RICE MILK?  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
RICE MILK?
« on: October 03, 2006, 17:26:58 pm »
Does anyone have any experience giving their lo's Rice Milk? 

My son is 14 months old and was on a hypoallergenic formula until 9 mos. old and then on Lactose Free Formula.  At 12 mos, he refused whole milk.

Finally we have put him on Lactaid (Latose Free Whole Milk) and still seems very fussy most of the day.  He was also just started prevacid for reflux.  An upper GI confirmed it.

* Would you suggest cutting out all dairy and just sticking with the Lactose Free Whole Milk or cut out all diary and change to Rice milk? 
* He does not get a rash, hives etc. from diary.  He gets extremely fussy, gassy etc.

Also he is allergic to Soy!

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: RICE MILK?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 17:42:18 pm »
Wendy, it's relatively unlikely that he's lactose intolerant - lactose intolerance is quite common in adults but not very common in babies. It's more likely that he has an intolerance to the milk proteins - and lactaid milk won't help with that. Rice milk is a great option but very low in fat so you'd need to make sure to supplement fat in other ways, like olive oil, flax oil, avocado, etc. Did you say you were going to go to a feeding clinic? I think that's a GREAT idea. Often they have great ideas and could be of help with this issue - and perhaps the GI doctor there will also increase his Prevacid, which sounds like a low dose from what you've already told me.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 17:47:24 pm »
Thanks Karen: 

Another thought:  Could I just try giving him the Hypoallergnic Formula again?  That will have his vitamins, fat, etc.

I tried it yesterday, but he refused to drink it.  YUCKY... 

???

Thanks
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 17:48:53 pm »
You can try but at his age and since he's already been drinking milk and eating some yummy solids it's unlikely that he'll drink the HA formula, which tastes pretty nasty. Are you giving a multi-vitamin?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 18:00:46 pm »
Hey karen:  I have been giving him the Enfamil Multa-Vitamin and putting it in his milk.  I thought about trying the gummy kind.  Not sure what they are called.

So what would  you do???  Just eliminate all Milk and try Rice Milk?  He is already in the low % for his weight, I don't want him to lose anymore weight. 

I think we will meet with a dietician at the feeding clinic.  Do you think I should wait until then to stop all diary?

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy -

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 18:04:40 pm »
Is he gassy with all dairy, or mostly whole cows milk? If it is a problem digesting milk proteins, you might have some success with yogurt, which has been cultured; the culturing helps to break down some of the milk protein so it's easier for some people to digest. The same is true for cheeses, although some are easier than others for the digestive system to handle. If yogurt is OK, try to find full-fat yogurt, like Stoneyfield Farms, which is also organic and SOOOOO creamy! :) If not, I'd go ahead and get rid of all dairy till your appointment, and supplement with other good-fatty foods already mentioned, like avocados (Natalie LOVES guacamole! :)), butter (sometimes tolerated where other dairy is not - but you'd have to find out if it would be OK for him), olive oil, dark meat chicken (fattier than white meat), flaxseed oil, and fish oil. Coconut oil is also EXCELLENT and great for high-heat cooking, which olive oil is not.

I've also heard of people having great luck with goats' milk; it's available at many health food stores.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 21:54:30 pm »
If it were me I'd cut out all dairy for 2 weeks. If he feels better, maybe then try yogurt - like Deb said. You can also add powdered probiotics (look for dairy free one for children, we use Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children) to his rice milk or juice and this can help his immune system and digestive system.

I wouldn't do goat's milk for now - only because many babies who are intolerant to the cow's milk proteins have the same problem with the goat's milk - but it is an option as well - in fact my dad was on it as a baby!

When is your appointment?

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 00:52:04 am »
Hey:  We got the appt with the feeding clinic for November 14th, but she said they have cancellations every week so more than likely would be sooner.

He ate yogurt today (4 oz.) and it gave him gas.  I don't think it was really painful gas, but is stunk... 

He has only drank 7 oz. of milk today.

Wendy -

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 01:42:41 am »
Oh Karen:  probiotics ( did your doctor suggest that).  I have never heard of that. 

Does your lo drink milk now???
Wendy -

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 02:17:21 am »
Probiotics are GOOD THINGS!!! :D :D :D You can get them at many health food stores. They come in a variety of forms, usually pills or capsules for adults and powders for little ones; we get yummy chewables for Josie (she's going on 5 now). Most need to be refrigerated, and the powders you can add to baby food or mix with EBM/formula in a bottle.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:20 am »
I got the idea for the probiotics from reading/friends but my doctor had no problem with it. We give Marisa 1/2 tsp/day of powdered Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children - I mix it in with her morning oatmeal/fruit puree. HUGE fan of them.

Offline Diegos Mama

• Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 10:56:37 am »
I've done probiotics with my boys too in the past.

:)

If you're seeing gas, I'd cut out all dairy for now.  Poor guy... I like Marisa's mom's idea of nixing it for two weeks, reading all labels very carefully and seeing what that brings.  You'll also have more info to bring to the feeding clinic if you do that trial.

:)

Just try not to make more than one change at a time so you can definitively tell what's causing what.

Laura

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 11:04:11 am »
Thanks everyone.  My hubby says that I better not do anything until we go to the Feeding Clinic.  He hasn't even care to research this, so I will do what I feel is right. 

Wendy -

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 18:21:30 pm »
I really think I am driving myself CRAZY.  I can't even enjoy being a mommy anymore.

I went today and bought Rice milk to try, he liked the taste. 

I really want to stop all Diary for 2 weeks (it want hurt him), but I just think I might drive myself crazy thinking about it.

:(  This is so hard.  I think I am just going to wait until we go to the feeding clinic to try anything new.  I am just going to bascially stop trying for now, feed him like I have, stop worrying about everything and try to enjoy being a mom.

Karen:  I did go and get some Flax Oil, thanks for the idea. I am going to add that to some of his foods.

Very stressed!!!  -wendy
Wendy -

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 18:36:55 pm »
We gave Ryan rice milk from 13 months up untill 2.5 yrs old when he stopped drinking milk .We switched to cow's milk at 12 months and it caused soo many problems , he was extra windy/gassy  , stomach cramps and his night sleep got a lot worse ( night waking due to reflux anyway ) once we switched to rice milk he seemed a lot better
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .