Author Topic: RICE MILK?  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: RICE MILK?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 19:01:22 pm »
Ryan's mum:  So you were not worried about him not getting fat, vitamins  etc.  I think that is the main thing that worries me.  I got the fortfied Rice Milk.  It did not taste bad at all, it was just really thin.

*  I am assuming that your son was perfectly healthy and happy with the rice milk.  How long did it take you to see an improvement?

Thanks everyone so much
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 19:12:21 pm »
We use Rice Milk too, as lo can not tolerate cows milk. At first I was worried about the fat etc. esp as we weaned from breastfeeding, but he can eat yoghurt so we make it up that way. I have been following your struggles on another board and wanted to reply but now cannot find it, so I will give my two cents here. If I were you, I would go ahead and take him off dairy now, so that you can let the feeding clinic know if you notice any changes in your son. That way you will be ahead, esp if you think it might be something they will suggest you do antway. As I was vegan for 13 years before I had lo, make sure you avoid all trace ingredients too. You can get tons of info on the internet, esp if you use brand name food. hth and good luck to you.
Ryan's Mum~ Have you had your appointment yet? Sorry to hijack the post!

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 19:30:39 pm »
Ds is on rice milk as a replacement to cow's milk - that causes tummy upsets/diarrhoea/nappy rashes and sleepless nights.

He seems to be thriving on it, and I make sure that he has enough in his diet (like soya yoghurt for calcium and protein/olive oil and avocado for the goodie fats).

Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 19:36:49 pm »
I agree, I don't see where 2 weeks will hurt.  He can't have soy (it did show positive to him being allergic).  I am going to try the rice milk and I got some great info on the MSPI forum also.

I am glad to know that other lo's are on Rice milk also.

What was all your symptoms: ? 

Your right, if I do cut out all diary and soy (which we do anyway), then I will be able to tell them at the feeding clinic if that helped or not.  Very good point.  And I am sure after they review his detailed history and saw how well he did as an infant on the hypoallergenic formula, they will tell me to do that anyhow.

Thanks again!!!
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 19:41:23 pm »
Considering we have a very poor eater he is doing really well . Like previous posters we make up for it the best we can with other foods .We are waiting for our appt with the pead to discuss vitamins but this is due to him not eating well , we are hoping it will give him a better appetite and make up for the lack of fruit and veg he doesn't eat .
 Our eating problems are due to reflux issues , he has food/texture aversions and we have tried everything we can  , this has been going on since around 15 months. Also our pead didn't have a problem with us starting rice milk , he agreed Ryan would be better off cow's milk .We will hopefully get a nutritionist referal.

binxy boo ~ appt is next wednesday and i can't wait
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

binxyboo

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 19:48:00 pm »
Ryan's mum~ I am so glad for you. Keep us posted.

Riley would have horrendous poopy diapers, full of mucus etc. Even when I was nursing him I found if I ate a lot of dairy he would be crankier than ever. He has had a problem with excema since he was born, now that has gone away. Still on the fussy end of the spectrum but I think that's just his temperment~he's a joy when he gets everything his own way ::)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 23:19:39 pm »
Funny  you say that about his tempermeant.  That is what my hubby thinks is all wrong with Zach.

Maybe I have just read to much into to him whinning all the time.  Maybe it is just his tempermeant.  When he gets things his way, he is fine.  If he had it his way, he would be outside 24 hours a day.  Barely whines when he is outside.

I will get things worked out soon.  I am sure the dietician at the feeding clinic, will offer a lot of advice.
Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 23:35:52 pm »
Well, I am sure that in your case the reflux is not helping matters. If he is in pain , I am sure that doesn't make for a happy baby.Hopefully when he gets treatment, things will settle down for you all.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 00:26:39 am »
Wendy, it doesn't sound like just temperament to me - especially when combined with his eating refusals. It's not unusual for our LOs to be able to be distracted from discomfort but he should also be happy other times - if not it's likely something is bothering him. If it were me, starting tomorrow, I'd do rice milk and NO dairy for 2 weeks and see how it goes.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 03:26:10 am »
I just read back through this post that I started on Rice milk and wanted to give you all an update and see if you had anymore thoughts:

- I never did do the diary elimanation, I was just to nervous.

- We had our appt with the feeding clinic.  They are tested him for all sorts of things.

- He has had 4 infections in the past 2 months and is now on his 4th antibotic (this time being a series of shots).  He just was finished his last antibotic about 4 days ago and Friday his ears where fine, no strep, but white blood cell count was high again.  He has also had diaherra off and on for 4 weeks now and a lot of muscus in his diapers.

Today he has not eaten barely a thing:  3 bites of applesauce, and about 3 bites of a corn dog.  The feeding clinic wants us to give him only pediasure for the extra calories.  Tonight he had about 5 sips of a milk shake and within 5 minutes had a diaper full.  Then about 10 minutes about that he started crying in pain for no reason at all and about 1 minute later, you could hear it blow out in his diaper.  It was ALL MUSCUS.  And of course with some beans from last night mixed in.  Oh and strawberries from the other day.  Yeah he poops out all his food whole.

So can the repeated infections be linked to a Milk Allergy/Intolerance and maybe that is why he hates to eat????

I am just so so worried about him.

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 15:04:47 pm »
I just read back through this post that I started on Rice milk and wanted to give you all an update and see if you had anymore thoughts:

- I never did do the diary elimanation, I was just to nervous.

Wendy, I would be too nervous not to do the elimination at this stage. If it's not an intollerance/allergy, then you can rule that out fairly quickly by doing it. There's lots of info about all this online. If I was more computer savvy I could post links, but all I did was google "high white blood cells toddler" and came up with lots. Hugs
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 15:32:18 pm by binxyboo »

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 16:33:44 pm »
Hello:  I agree.  I am taking him back to the Childrens Hospital tom. to drop off his stool sample and I am going to demand they re-test him now. 

I put in what you said under google and gots lots of info.

I said that a high white blood cell count could be linked to an allergy.  So does it sound like he could have a hidden milk allergy and the doctors are just thinking it is something else?

IS your son still on Rice Milk?

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 16:50:51 pm »
Yes Riley is still on rice milk. He does tolerate yoghurt okay, but not most cheese. Just remember that allergy tests are not always accurate, which is why most practitioners will say to do the elimination diet just to be sure. If it is an intolerance, the test will most likely come back neg. but he will still have the symptoms he is having kwim? The reason why I would just bite the bullet and do it is because if he is having that much diarrhea , he is not benefiting from anything he is eating, as it's all passing through him. I would give it the full two weeks, making sure he has no milk derivatives either

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 17:21:24 pm »
I am going to call the feeding clinic first thing in the morning and ask about that.  I will see what they say and then may just do it myself. I am the mother and know best.

So...... can you give me soem ideas what you feed your son?  Zach barely eats anything as it is.  He likes Nutragrain Bars, gold fish, etc. But with a milk-free diet, he could not have these.

Thanks Wendy
Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 17:27:29 pm »
Riley eats all fruits and veggies , both as purees and finger foods, some rice, pasta, yoghurt, cereals, crackers like wheat thins, tofu. little bits of deli meat, quorn... That's about it. He doesn't eat huge amounts of anything, but I guess what he does eat is healthy. I think if Zach felt better, he would be more inclined to eat more and different things. Noone likes to eat on an upset tummy!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:01:48 am by binxyboo »