Author Topic: RICE MILK?  (Read 6353 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: RICE MILK?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 17:34:33 pm »
Humm your lo does not eat a wide range of stuff either.  Zach will eat a variety of stuff, but only liek a bite or two.

So far today he has had:

Wake:  Diaper full
Then drank 8 ox. of pediasure
Pooped again with in 30 minutes and it had mucus in it.

Then about 1.5 hours later ate about 5 bites of eggs.

That is it so far.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 17:48:36 pm »
I just remembered something with Natalie from way back. For a while she hd spinach-green poop that was very mucousy. Someone here suggested that carageenan might be the culprit - I was drinking rice milk that had carrageenan in it. It's seaweed=based, but apparently some immature systems don't handle it well, and she was getting it in my milk. I drank a different brand of rice milk for a few days and things were fine, then had a few swallows of the old stuff and it came back, so I'm assuming that was the cause.

Anyway, if he's still having issues and lots of mucous in the poop, I can think of a few thing OTHER than maybe carrageenan in the rice milk - I think Rice Dream does NOT have it, BTW.

If he's having antiobiotics frequently, his poor digestive tract doesn't have the good bacteria it needs to properly digest his food. Whenever I take antibiotics, I make sure to eat yogurt and take probiotics to "restock" the bacteria that belong in the gut so the food will actually digest. When my tummy's upset and I don't feel like eating, it's work to want to bother taking it, but once I do I feel MUCH MUCH better within a couple hours and my appetite returns somewhat - and my system deals with the food I do eat much better, IYKWIM.

Also, I know you're reluctant to do the dairy elimination, but at this point I think you have more to gain than to lose by it, even if you do it for 2-3 days. If you do it, though, I wouldn't do it at the same time as introducing probiotics, as you won't know what is was that set him straight (assuming one or both of them do it); I'd probably do the probiotics first to see if it steadies things in a day or two, then the dairy if not.

Just my non-medical suggestions....hope this helps - please keep us updated.

binxyboo

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 17:53:20 pm »
Well, I think his range is wide enough for his age and the fact that nursing was probably his main source of nutrition until he weaned... :) I am actually glad that his faves are fruit and veg. He is offered healthy food that my husband and I eat, I don't want to go down the wrong road at this age with fried, fatty food etc
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:03:11 am by binxyboo »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 18:21:31 pm »
I agree with everyone Wendy - I'd definitely be looking to do a strict elimination diet for at least 2 weeks as well...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 18:33:48 pm »
Thanks everyone:  Zach woke up from his nap about 30/45 minutes ago and has been crying since :(  the only time he is not crying, fussy is when we are distracting him.  And he would not eat his lunch either.  1 bite of fish stick and a few bites of baby food (bananas, grapes, and plums).

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 00:09:21 am »
How is Zach doing today?

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 00:15:26 am »
Hey there:  He woke up in an awful mood and cried for about 30 minutes.  He ate breakfast (well a few bites of his cereal) and then pretty much cried and fussed for the next hour.  DH layed him down just after being awake for 1.5 hours and he sleep for 3 hours. 

We then went to the Chidlrens Hospital, they are re-checking all his blood work and blood for allergies.  I should have those results in one week.

Then came home and he fussed and cried since we have been home. He ate some watermelon for dinner and then fussed, so I put him to bed at 6:30 and he is asleep now.

So okay day....  DH and I talked about not having anymore kids tonight.  We both wanted atleast 2 kids, but things have just been just a challenge with Zach we can't even enjoy being parents :(
Wendy -

Offline ashti

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 23:00:49 pm »
Wendy,
I'm so sorry to hear things are going rough for you and your lo.  (((HUGS)))
I think once you get to the root problem, you will see a huge change in your lo's temperment.  It sounds to me like he's not feeling good and nobody likes to feel sick.  I hope you find the reason soon.
Like previous posters, I think it sounds like a milk and soy protein intolerance.  Right now we don't feed our dd soy or milk in any form.  When we keep her away from milk and soy, she is much happier.  Are you still feeding pediasure?  That has both milk and soy in it.  If it were me, I would put lo on a milk and soy free diet.  The feeding clinic could help with ideas to get him the additional nutrients he needs.  My dd can't even tolerate the tiniest amount of either, hidden ingredients, in prepackaged foods.  When you said he had the corndog and fishsticks, but only a few bites, it got me wondering if that was his problem, since they both probably have either milk or soy in them. 
I really hope your lo gets feeling better soon, so that things can be a little easier on him and you as parents. 
(((HUGS))))
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 23:02:50 pm by ashti »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 02:04:34 am »
Hummm ASHTI:  You bring up such a good question.

My lo tested positive to being allergic to SOY when he wsa 9 mos. old.  The allergist said to just avooid soy protien, but nothing about Soy Lethician (s/p), soybean oil, etc.

Man, Soy is is SOOO much stuff, one way or the other.

And yes you are right.  Soy ingredients and milk are in both corndogs and fish sticks.

Today he has not eaten anything except for watermelon and about 1 mini corn dog.  No dinner...  He just whined and cried all night...

So what do you avoid as far as Soy goes?  What are some things you feed your lo?

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 02:20:59 am »
Just to throw in my two cents: back in late January when we put Josie on a REALLY restrictive diet - http://www.bodyecologydiet.com - for a couple months, I discovered it was easiest to cook my own foods from scratch. It was a HUGE time commitment at first, but in a month or so I got the knack of making enough and preparing far enough ahead of time that it got easier. It involved soaking grains and seeds (and eventually legumes when we put them back in the diet), and it drove us nuts for a while - I felt like I was spending my WHOLE TIME in the kitchen - but eventually we were able to put in some "normal" food (which for us was yogurt LOL) and also depend on leftovers once I actually cooked enough.

Cooking meat and vegetables, especially green ones, took the most adjusting to for us. At our grocery, frozen veggies (the easiest for me for convenience) come in 1-pound packs, and we were eating one of those at EACH MEAL for a while - but at the same time we didn't get sick AT ALL for nearly SIX MONTHS. Once I worked out that I had to cook MORE THAN a pound for a meal to have leftovers, we were golden.

The neat thing, though, was that I was eating salads almost EVERY DAY, the girls were eating vegetables EVERY DAY, we were exploring different seasonings, and Josie (who is admittedly older than your LO) became very into cooking - she and DH especially would cook lots of things together, and even now that we can even have pizza once in a while I make sure to include her in dinner at least every other day. The whole family was in better shape, Josie's whole demeanor changed for the better, and oh, yeah, I lost a LOT of weight - I went from about 150 pounds to 125-ish, where I still am now.

I also knew what was in EVERYTHING that came from our kitchen. I knew that there was NOTHING that should cause a problem - that was before I knew about Josie and corn, BTW (turns out that corn makes her act crazy, so she's probably allergic to it :() - and I felt SO GOOD about making it! :) We all learned a LOT about nutrition and we still have what some folks would consider some pretty out-of-the-mainstream food choices here. We discovered that you can make kefir out of young coconut juice, for example - a nice fizzy drink that Natalie LOVES that is FULL of probiotics! We have also moved on to another food program called Nourishing Traditions and learned lots of cool stuff about alternative (these days) ways to make food - traditional foodways that have fallen by the wayside.

OK, I'm getting pretty tired now and have another 2 boards yet to peruse, so have to go, but wanted to put in another bit. It CAN be hard to avoid soy, but I think that at Whole Foods they have pamphlets for different diets, like dairy-free, gluten-free, and so on, and you can probably get some guidance there. Best thing, though, for us was to just cook from scratch.

Offline ashti

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 05:16:29 am »
Wendy-
I avoid all milk and all forms of soy for my lo.  I don't know if she can tolerate lecithin and soy oil yet, because I haven't tested her on them yet.  I plan on doing it in a month or so.  It would probably be up to you if you wanted try cutting out all of soy or continue to give lecithin and soy oil.
Since dd is just barely a year, we are still on finger foods.  I bake bread for her from scratch.  French bread recipes call for water and not milk.  I give her lots of fruits, and veggies.  Like tonight she had half of a sweet potato for dinner, with some banana and a handful of cheerios.  I also give her beans, baby cereal, banana bread, raisins, rice, and meat like hamburger or chicken.  I am always looking for more things to give her, since she gets bored pretty easily with what I offer, but it's mostly fruits and veggies and homemade breads.
If you do decide to alter your lo's diet, I would be sure you are getting him all the nutrients he needs, which would probably include the fortified rice milk and then good fats like previous posts have mentioned.  I don't know for sure, but would guess that you would begin to see improvements within a week or two if that was the problem.  Then at least you would know, I guess. 
My dd ate 1 M&M she found and it caused us sleepless nights, whiny baby, bad diapers and skin rash for 4 days.  Once it was out of her system we are back to normal. 
I hope that helps... 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:18:12 am by ashti »
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 00:54:23 am »
The test results are in:  I just hope I am doing the right thing:

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=78283.msg663293#msg663293
Wendy -