Author Topic: advice I can get for winding my DS down for a nap  (Read 2272 times)

Offline new_mom_lisa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
advice I can get for winding my DS down for a nap
« on: October 03, 2006, 23:54:50 pm »
I posted this on the other forum, but I think it fits in this area better....

I have a 8-week old baby and I have a TERRIBLE time getting him to take a nap.  I think many of the times he is overstimilated.  I have tried to put him to bed for a nap on sight of the first yawn, but I still have a terrible time.  Some days he has no naps (I'm serious) other days he has cat naps (very short like 15 minutes).

Just wondering what advice I can get for winding my DS down for a nap???  Please help...

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
Re: advice I can get for winding my DS down for a nap
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 00:15:55 am »
One of Tracy's 4 S's is to sit. She recommends just sitting with them on your lap, or head/face tucked into the crook of your neck and holding them without rocking for 5-10 minutes. This really makes a difference with my DD. If I take her from the living room with it's hustle and bustle and try to get her to sleep it is a no go. But if I let her wind down, we are ok. I also will sometimes let her lay in a quiet room and chill for a few minutes before swaddling and going down to sleep. I look for the "7 mile stare" when she is starting to get tired. Hope that helps!

Holly
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

Offline Karin3

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 00:56:46 am »
I also found sitting with my lo to be very beneficial.  If she's really overstimulated, sometimes she'll arch her back a little and fuss.  But, she usually calms down after a few minutes.  When she was around your lo's age though we had to do A LOT of shh-pat...

Karin
Karin
Stepmom to Caroline, 10 years old

Offline albertasweetpea

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 01:10:35 am »
Hi Lisa, what does your daily schedule/routine look like? What time is DS awake in the morning and how often do you try to put him down for naps?
If we see what you are doing now, we may be able to give some ideas on how to "tweak" what you are doing and make it work for you!
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline new_mom_lisa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 02:30:57 am »
Hi Stacy, Not sure what this means, can you elaborate:

Since your lo is older I would aim for more like 55 mins to do the walking, an hour or so to be changing diaper, swaddle etc and be starting shush pat in your neck hour and 5-10 mins tops.
________
For my routine, which is not good since I can't get him for naps and he is awake most of the day.

Awake at 5:30am ( I know this is super early, but I can't get him to stay awake at night past 7pm)

E - 5:30
A - 5:45-6:30 (playing in crib)
S - 6:30 try to get him to sleep usually doesn't happen (he fusses) so awake again until he shows sleepy signs
Y - this barely never comes :(

As you can see i have no pattern to my day except he does do to sleep for the night at 7:00pm.  I do E  "every" 3 hrs. and then A right after and always try the S as soon as he shows sleepy signs.  I have no pattern yet because i can't get my DS down for naps and I revert back to A because he seems so awake.  I try and try and try all day!!  :(

Someone gave me the suggestion to try and put him back to sleep 10-15 minutes after E (before sleepy signs). I am going to try this tomorrow.  Wish me luck :(  I really hope I get some pattern soon even if the S is 45 minutes I will be happy!!!

Lisa

Offline new_mom_lisa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 02:38:44 am »
Hi Stacy, I get it now - Thanks for the article.  I will try this also!!!!!

Offline new_mom_lisa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 02:43:55 am »
Hi Stacy,  My baby is "spirited" type baby.  Do you think 55 minutes is too much wake time?  Also, how long should I be walking him before settling down to have him on my neck and patting him?

Offline new_mom_lisa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:48:18 am »
Does this awake time include feeding time too? 

Ie.  feeds 20 minutes so this means awake time is 55 minutes minus 20 minutes = 35 minutes?

Offline new_mom_lisa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 02:50:21 am »
Ok, I think I got it.  I will try this tomorrow!  Thanks for all your help!!

Offline Jodieplus2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 16:53:07 pm »
Hi Stacey,
Just read this topic & it was just what I was looking for! My little boy is 9 weeks old, & I am lucky enough to be able to get him to nap during the day, but it can take up to 40mins to get him to sleep!
I catch him early when he is showing the signs of sleep (but now looking at it, if seeing the yawning is too late, then I am maybe catching it too late!).
I swaddle him, which seems to help, but as soon as I start shush/pat or put him in his moses basket then the crying starts. I shush/pat & can settle him to drifting off stage, but once again as soon as he is in his basket then he cries.
His crying can be so loud & strong that it breaks my heart & can make me cry. It gets worse throughout the day & the last nap seems a real trauma.

Are the times you have given here the same for a 9 week old? I will try this method tomorrow.
Thanks
Jx

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 17:52:15 pm »
i just wanted to add  not to the specifics but more as a cheering committee - it wasn't too long ago for me to remember..........

Just keep at it, doing the routines the same way every time and in the long run (for us it was a very long time) it does work.  They really will start to relax once you start the routine.  Walking around is a great way to wind down.  And the head tuck into the crook of the neck........as awful as that time was for me, I loved that......I miss that.  His head is too big now.  Now it just flops on my shoulder.  Still sweet, though.

Good luck Mommies!  You are doing a wonderful job!!

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline new_mom_lisa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 01:53:03 am »
I tried this today..  waiting 55 minutes (before my DS is yawning) to start walking him then dimming the lights and then rocking him, shushing and patting and he hated it.  He fought me and cried as soon as I sat down on the rocking chair.  I started walking again then sat down again and same thing.  So, I put him in his crib with his light machine and he was so happy.  I don't get it...  My DS had one 2hr. nap today and a few 10 minute cat naps.  Can you believe it!!!  I don't know what to do anymore.

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 02:26:43 am »
I tried shh/pat, and it just revved my DD up. She loves her paci, and it was better for her if I stood with her quietly with her dummy and let her get sleepy. Then I put her down and let her dose off on her own...Every child has their own "thing" like Stacy said. Recap what you did for the 2 hour nap and try to copy that again. It will get better, but it will take a few days for your LO to adjust to his new routine. In Tracy's book she noted that it would usually take about 3 days for younger babies to adjust to a new routine. One 2 hour nap is not a bad start!
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

Offline Jodieplus2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 06:49:31 am »
Thanks so much PeepersMum- gives me hope!
Jx :)

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 01:53:53 am »
Lisa - PJ knew the instant I sat down in the rocker for a very very long time.  It would get him revved up again.  There is a reason for it - I found it when I was desperate for information - the answer was on the Dr Sears website.  Something about the lo's like to be suspended in mid air feeling, so when you sit down they aren't as comfortable.  I spent a lot of time standing and bouncing. 

Keep at it, you are doing well, you just need to find what he likes.  PJ liked the shh shh shh in his ear and his head high on my shoulder at first, then he would nestle in.  And I would bounce and almost pat like I am burping him.   I still do that when he is crying because he fell over!  I instantly pick him up and start bouncing and 'burping' him.  LOL  Try different tricks and you two will get it. 

This time was very hard for me,I do understand.  good luck! it seems like it will never end, but it will.  Hang in there.

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12