Author Topic: Does Milk/Dairy cause Eczema problems  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
Re: Does Milk/Dairy cause Eczema problems
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 15:40:30 pm »
I thought I'd share our experience.

DD has had severe eczema since she was about 2 mo.  We also went through every cortizone cream in the book and nothing seemed to work.  And yes, they do become immune to the creams over time...

So we requested to have allergy tests done and sure enough, dd is allergic to milk.  So she has been on a milk/dairy-free diet for 3 months now with huge improvements.  Her eczema is so minimal that we only need to do a spot treatment  maybe 1/week instead of daily.   But do know that you need to be 100% milk-free before you see the effects.  So we are on milk-free milk, yogourt, cheese, some breads, crackers, cookies, etc.  Mostly we use soy or tofu substitutes which dd LOVES.  It was really a breeze to switch her over.  A little tougher on dh and I cause we are stuck reading every label at the grocery store.  We mostly shop the organic and specialty sections of the grocery store now.  If you need any help with a  milk-free diet, I'd be happy to help out.   Just PM me anytime.  HTH!

Also, someone asked if they're grumpier when the eczema flares up..actually it can be the reverse.  Eczema tends to flare during stressful times (teething, etc).  What a viceous circle.
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline livilou

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 06:52:34 am »
Hi,

I am 34 years old and have suffered from eczema my whole life, when I was a baby I had if from head to toe, I have to say it was distressing for me growing up.  Now I have a baby I am almost paranoid about even trying dairy on her, I'm waiting until she is over a year old to start.

To list a few I am allergic to any dairy products, wheat, sugar :-[ and dustmites   When I don't eat any of these things, just fruit, veggies, meat & rice my skin is great, the second a cream cake passes my lips I get hives & then the skin starts to itch. 

I have the following advice for you:

1.  See a Naturopath or Homeopath, they have helped me more than any conventional doctor in my life.  Diet is definitely the main cause.

2.  Whatever you do don't use any cortisone creams (i.e. hydrocortisone, betnovate, etc), I used them throughout my childhood on open cuts and my skin is SO thin now that sometimes all I have to do is wash my hands and my skin breaks open.

3.  I discovered a natural cream called 'chickweed' cream, it seems to work well for me, anything with petroleum in it will eventually work against me.

4.  Basically your skin is an extention of your intestine, so any sensitivity there will show up on the skin.

Good Luck, it will get better once you find out the cause, usually diet!

Offline JaimeC

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Benjamin
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 00:15:33 am »
Hi Rebecca,

I have had chronic eczema since I was a child, and my son benjamin ( 6 months) has just started getting it too.  Mine has never gone away completely, as it is not allergy related, but there are lots of things you can do to manage it and keep it under control. Have you looked at the types of soaps you are using? I know people usually change to a soap free wash like QV (from the chemist in australia), but have you also changed the washing powder you wash chloe's clothes in? it makes quite a difference, if you think about it as their clothing is rubbing against their skin all day.   For benjamin, I have stopped all the solids he was eating completely and am starting over one at a time. The ezcema cleared up alot in just under a week, so it seems to be mostly allergy related.  I am also giving him evening primrose oil - one capsule of oil mixed into his food once a day. Some of the most recent research into ezcema has shown that it is not always allergy related, but is due to the bodies inability to maintain an adequate skin barrier, allowing irritants to break the skin (which is why soaps etc can be such a problem). People with ezcema often cannot convert a type of fatty acid called 'linolenic acid' (an omega 6 fat) found in foods into the form it is used in the body ' gamma linolenic acid'. Evening primrose oil has naturally occuring gamma linolenic acid in it. If the ezcema is not caused by an allergy, but because of an inadequate skin barrier, then it is something you have to manage, rather than find the quick cure too.  You need to maintain good moisture for the skin, protect it from irritants, and be persistent. Often childhood ezcema will resolve itself by school age. Mine resolved from being all over, to mainly just my hands as a teenager/adult, as the hands are hardest to protect from irritants all the time.
If chloes is allergy related then that is probably a blessing! it is easier to resolve by removing the allergent. But if it is from a skin barrier issue, then it is more of a long term management issue until she may grow out of it. sorry if that is bad news!

hope you get some good advice from your G.P,
~jaime