Author Topic: 1 year old learned to pull himself up the bed-rails  (Read 1849 times)

Offline lvecvagare

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 year old learned to pull himself up the bed-rails
« on: October 04, 2006, 14:23:42 pm »
My 1 year old son (PR) learned to pull himself up his bed-rails 2 weeks ago. So now he does it when he's put into his crib for sleep. In the evening we do our bed time routine, put him into his crib and walked out of the room. Before this he was falling asleep on his own. Never had to go back into his room. Now, he stands up in the bed and crys. So, I go in and just put him gently down again. I don't say anything, don't make any eye contact, don't switch on light, nothing. The first 5 days I had to do it for 30 - 40 times until he finally fell asleep. Then we moved his bed time to a little later (from usual 7 - 7:30 to 7:30 - 8:00). For the past 10 days I have had to put him back down 8 - 12 times. Is this something that he will grow out of and I just have to hang in there or there are other strategies more appropriate for his age? I will appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Laura

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: 1 year old learned to pull himself up the bed-rails
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 14:59:46 pm »
Monkey!  Keep at it and it will pass.

Offline Raquelita1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 18:04:30 pm »
Our dd started doing this at about 10 months and i really despaired as she just thought it was a big game!  Just keep doing what you're doing, and he will grow out of it soon once the novelty wears off.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 19:01:24 pm »
I think you're doing great! 12 mo are stubborn so i think you just have to keep at it...  :-*
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 19:05:37 pm »
yep, you are doing the right thing.  Hang in there.  it's a developmental stage that will pass.  Just don't do any accidental parenting at this stage like hanging out with him, putting your hadn on him so he won't stand or whatever.  I did that and it took a lot to correct it!  It's great you caught it in time!  If it's not one thing, it's another, right? 
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline lvecvagare

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 19:42:51 pm »
Thank you very much. It is very relieving and will help in persisting.
I wanted to ask the last writer about "hanging out with him". Right now I stay a feet or 2 away from his crib as he keeps pulling up. Is that "hanging out"? Should I leave after I put him down and come back once he cries for me? Or I should stay there until he stops pulling up and falls asleep?

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 19:49:32 pm »
Personally I would lay him down and leave (speaking as one who spent months trying to sort this one out!) I also found that whilst I was paranoid about laying him down so that he would go to sleep quickly  (even if he wasn't crying) - when I didn't go in and lay him back down - he still went to sleep in 20 minutes! So I would try leaving him alone as long as he isn't crying, and gets himself down ok.

Offline lvecvagare

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 20:13:54 pm »
OK. Makes sense. Will try leaving. Thank you.

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 11:58:47 am »
yeah, I think just leave to let them sort it out.  Just go in if there's true crying.  the other thing I thought is that during the day try to teach him how to lay down when standing in his crib.  Like put him there to play while you tidy his room or something adn when he stands, just kind of help him bend his knees and lay down.  Sometimes they just need some help figuring out how to do it. 
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline lvecvagare

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 18:47:25 pm »
Thank you all for your help. Just wanted to let you know that it worked. It took me two evenings with putting him down, leaving and coming back only when he cried for help. And it was done. Now once in a while we have to go in and put him down when he cries for help (not to lay him down and he knows how to do it. I guess, once in a while he just wants some reassurance that we are still there if he needs us).
Laura