Author Topic: Lactose Intolerant Any Suggestions  (Read 1989 times)

Offline geoffreyandme

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
Lactose Intolerant Any Suggestions
« on: October 04, 2006, 18:53:17 pm »
Geoffrey is lactose intolerant and it's getting to the time where milk products should be introduced and I am not sure what to do...if I give him anything with milk he gets really constipated and cranky. It could be worse, but still I don't want to risk it. Am I to start him on soy and rice products? I'd like to give him cheese and yoghurt but that's not an option! Is anyone else experiencing this? Any tips would be greatly welcomed!
Thanks in advance.
-Also, we live in a bit of a remote area in Ireland so there aren't a ton of choices at the market either.
 ???

Offline Mel55

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Lactose Intolerant Any Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 19:01:25 pm »
DD is lactose intolerant.  I tried soy for a while but she ended up getting a soy intolerance as well ???

I found a GREAT product called "Lacteeze".  It's available (here in Canada) from the pharmacist, you don't need a prescription.  But it's basically the enzyme lactose intolerant people are missing and it helps with digestion.  I give DD one pill before she eats/drinks anything dairy and it's worked like a dream!! 

Please look into this or talk to your pharmacist and see what products are available for you in Ireland.

HTH.

Mel
DD 13 Jul 04
DS 24 Oct 05
DS 14 Mar 08

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 23:31:47 pm »
My son is 14 mos. old and was on a hypoallergenic formula since 6 weeks old.  Everytime I tried to give him Dairy products, he got super constipated and gassy. 

Finally at 9 mos. old he was able to tolerate Lactose Free Infant Formula. 

At 12 mos. we tried whole milk and it was a nightmare, he actually did not eat or drink for 3 days.

Finally we tried Lactaid (It is Lactose Free Whole Milk) and he drinks it fine.

He is still very fussy most of the time, so I have posted about rice milk, etc. and a lot of moms seem to it could  be the Milk protein itself and they have said lactose intolerant is very uncommon for infants, children.

keep in mind a lot of kids that have an intolerance to milk protein also do soy (not all, but a lot).

I think I would first try yogurt or cheese again and see what kind of reaction you get from that.  If that seems fine, then try whole milk.  If he does really bad on it, try Soy. I personally would make Rice milk, my last option because of the lack of fat and vitamins it has.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 23:40:25 pm »
DH and I are extremely Lactose Intolerant.  However, we can both eat cheese, yogurt and many other dairy products.  We just have to buy the LACTAID milk.  That is what we have DS on.  He also can eat cheese, ice cream, yogurt etc. 
Judy

Offline chemgirl1681

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Two Boys
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 16:25:11 pm »
It depends to what degree Geoffrey is lactose intolerant.  There are some people who can not tolerate any milk products (even cultured product and Lactaid Milk) and then there are some that can occasionally tolerate a small amount of regular milk product (about 8 oz milk several days a week).  Unfortunately from my experience it is a trial and error prospect to find out the degree of intolerance.  I have been lactose intolerant since grade school and can now eat fairly normally by keeping tabs on how much and what types of dairy I consume and of course avoiding foods I know cause a problem.  I would suggest starting with a cheese that has been aged over 1 year made from pasturized milk and only give it every other to every third day watching for a reaction.  It is recommended that children drink whole milk, as they need the fat, but if DD is sensitive to whole milk I believe the dr would recommend trying skim milk before cutting milk out completely.  It is possible to "overload" the available enzymes if the dairy is given to often.  Just take it slow while introducing the foods and if needed you could ask your doctor about the use of pills you can take before eating the offending food (Lactaid pills here in the States) if DD is especially sensitive and Dr. still wants him on the dairy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 16:50:21 pm by chemgirl1681 »
*-- Jen--*

Offline chemgirl1681

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Two Boys
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 17:57:52 pm »
Sorry, I just re-read your post and you said that cheese and yogurt are not an option.  Is this just because of the constipation?  Has he had any soy products before? Have you tried giving small amount of dairy with something high in fiber (to promote regularity)?  How soon after eating the dairy are the symptoms occuring?  Sorry for all the questions but it will help me with recommendations. :)
*-- Jen--*

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 23:56:02 pm »
Can I ask you guys a question? 

I am Lactose Intolerant so I understand how different foods can have various affects etc. 

I have given my 10 month old a grilled cheese sandwich.  It appears (sorry for the TMI) that the tiny pieces I cut up are coming out the other end -- not digested.  Any ideas?  She has suddenly been more regular, but not just when I feed her dairy.  She is new to finger food so I am assuming she could swallow it rather than chew.  Again, any ideas on what it could be and what I should do?

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 15:11:21 pm »
My son has the same problem with foods coming out whole.  He cannot digest apples whats so ever and he is 14 mos. old. 

* I would say it is proably because she is not chewing the snadwich, but you would think it would become soggy etc. once mixed in with the stomach acids.

Does she seem fussy when you give her cheese?

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline chemgirl1681

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Two Boys
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 21:18:02 pm »
The two most common reasons I know for foods coming out whole is inability to digest it properly or not chewing it properly (which are really both related to one another).

FYI - I found this on http://www.webmd.com about food intolerances and constipation:

Food intolerance is an adverse reaction, such as a stomachache, bloating, gas, or diarrhea, to certain foods.
Dairy products such as milk, ice cream, cheese, or yogurt can cause constipation when a child has too many servings in one day.

For children over 12 months add the following to promote regularity:
Add at least 2 servings of fruit, such as apricots, peaches, pears, raisins, figs, prunes, dates, and other dried fruits, each day.
Add at least 3 servings of vegetables, such as cooked dried beans or peas (legumes), broccoli, or cauliflower, each day.

Hope that helps!!!!
*-- Jen--*

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 00:48:51 am »
Thanks very much.  I think it is the not chewing because it is a new thing to my lo.  We have a dr. appt. coming up so it is on my list of questions to ask.

Again, thanks!