Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 885 times)

Offline jwhitt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: October 04, 2006, 18:58:16 pm »
All of the sudden in the last week or so my 6 month old is impossible to get down for naps.  He was so easy before.  He'd start acting sleepy, I'd take him to his room, rock him, sing to him, lay him down and he'd fall asleep on his own within 5 minutes every time.  Now, the second I even step foot in his room and don't turn the light on he screams.  I can't do anything to calm him down except take him away from his room.   ???  He'll be ok while I'm reading him a book but the second I close it, he starts up again.  It's like he knows what's coming and starts fighting it immediately.  On the positive side, once I get him down he's been sleeping for well over an hour lately.

Offline sophiems

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 19:15:17 pm »
could you post your routine.  It could be overtiredness, not tired enough, a developmental stage, etc.  If you post your routine, I think we could have a better idea of how to help!  Anything else new?  solids, new physical skill, etc.? 
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: What happened?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 19:32:27 pm »
This often happens after a growth spurt, and the baby is ready to stay awake for longer between naps. Is this something you have tried?

If this is the case, believe it or not it's a good sign of development :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline jwhitt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 20:05:12 pm »
It's not so much his first nap that's the issue...it's his 2nd nap.  He cries a little for the first one, but settles fairly easily.  With the second, I usually finally end up putting him in his crib screaming and shh/pat him to sleep because that seems to be the only way I can get him to go out.  We've battled short naps since before he was 2 months old, so the fact that he's sleeping for over an hour is nice, I just wish he'd go back to falling asleep easily like before!  Anyways, here's our day:

7:30am wake
7:45am feeding #1
9:00am solids - cereal and fruit
9:45am start windown for nap (this usually goes fairly smoothly)
10-11:15am - nap #1
11:30 feeding #2
12:30 solids - cereal and fruit
1:45 start wind down for nap - sometimes I start this at more like 1:30 because he's starting to get cranky, but it's taking 30-45 minutes to get him down
2:15-3:15 - nap #2
3:30 feeding #3
5:00-5:30 catnap (this hasn't always been happening lately...I think he might be ready to drop it.)
6:00 solids - veggies
7:00 bath
7:30 feeding #4 then bed.
He sleeps through the night.

The only new thing he's doing is pushing up on his hands and knees, but no where near crawling yet.  He sleeps on his tummy so once I put him down, he rolls over and starts doing this.  Could this be why he's having trouble settling?