Author Topic: MSPI Recipes  (Read 46816 times)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Re: MSPI Recipes
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 16:26:14 pm »
*I've been looking for a peanut butter chicken for ages, thank you!*

Now this next recipe, it uses frozen dinner rolls that are iffy as to a slight milk content or not. So for the less sensitive babies, it shouldn't be a problem. These sandwiches freeze well! This is one of those recipes that took me a while to master... but they are so good!

Runza's (my Grandma's football Saturday tradition)

1lb ground beef, raw
1 medium chopped onion
1/2 head of cabbage
salt and pepper
1 bag of 24 Rhodes frozen dinner rolls (check for dairy/soy, their recipe changes)

Set out rolls to thaw and rise per package directions. I like to turn my oven on for a minute, and then shut it off and let mine rise while they're in the oven. The rising process always takes longer than the package says it will. Let these rolls get huge!

Shred your cabbage with the food processor. Get out a huge stockpot and start browning beef and onion on medium heat. Season well with a little salt and a LOT of pepper (like 2 tbsp!) Add cabbage when beef is about half cooked. Let it all cook down for 15-20 minutes. I usually do this in the morning and then refrigerate it so it is easier to handle later.

Preheat oven as roll package directions (I think it is 350-400) For each Runza "sandwich" you need two rolls. I flour my hands and the counter top slightly, and roll out two rolls into a large oval. Add beef/cabbage filling, as much as you can, and bring the sides of the roll up and crimp so the beef is completely contained. Your roll should be a long beef stuffed oval. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down. Continue until all sandwiches are done. Bake as per package instructions, I think it is 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven when tops are golden brown. I like to grease the warm tops with a little margarine to make them shine and taste yummy. Enjoy!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 20:13:07 pm »
Award-Winning Chili from "Buns in the Oven" a cookbook by my NFP buddies

Makes approximately 2 quarts

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork sausage (soy-free!)
2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 4 ounce can diced green chilies, undrained
1/4 cup parsley flakes
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 16 ounce can kidney beans, undrained (I used two cans because I like beans)

Option Prep 1: Brown beef, sausage, garlic, and onion over medium heat. Drain. Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.

OR

Option Prep 2: Combine beef, sausage, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven; cook over medium heat until meat is browned and drain off drippings. Stir in rest of ingredients except beans. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add beans and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 21:23:36 pm »
oh my goodness, my mouth is watering over the Runzas! I can't wait, it sounds like a cabbage roll on steroids! yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 02:41:07 am »
What finger foods, snacks do you give your lo's?  Zach has had tins of tummy issues since he was a baby, now 15 mos. old and I believe it is leading towards MSPI. 

He tested (+) on an allergy test to Soy, but everytime he had milk he is so so gassy and he is always whining or crying like something is bothering him.

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline hayleysmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 17:59:29 pm »
If you're looking for an easy birthday cake to make that's dairy & soy free give the following a go.  (it's also egg free as well)  It's one I grew up making as it's easy for even young children to make.  It's really moist and tastes surprisingly good! 

Preheat oven to 350

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cold water

Mix dry ingredients directly in a 9-inch square pan.  Make 3 wells - pour oil in the first, vanilla in the second and vinegar in the third.  Pour cold water over all and mix with a fork until batter is smooth.
Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.

I've also made these as cupcakes - the above recipe makes 12.  They bake for approximately 20-22 minutes.

Here's also a quick frosting recipe that's works well if made with dairy/soy free marg:

1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1oz. chocolate, unsweetened
dash salt

Mix together ingredients in saucepan.  Add 1/2 cup boiling water.  Cook until thickened.  Remove from heat.  Add 1-1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Cool a bit - spread while hot.
Mum to Hayley 29 Nov 05 and Philippa 14 Jan 08

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 20:11:28 pm »
I got Pillsbury Cresent Rolls and Cornbread Twirls today (by the biscuits).  The ingredients DO NOT list any milk or soy (well soybean oil), but that is it.

Why would the cresent rolls not have milk in it, but the biscuits do? 

Do anyone of you use Pillsbury?

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 00:30:57 am »
WOW, I made instant choclate pudding tonight with  Milk (no calcium, but tons of fat). My lo LOVED it. 
Wendy -

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 04:13:41 am »
Biscuits are pretty much milk and butter. I can't think of a way they'd be good without either. Maybe shortening and rice milk? Mmmm... I may just have to try it if I get desperate this spring. I love biscuits!

You may want to try your other questions on the MSPI thread, this one was meant for recipes.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 23:19:17 pm »
I have a very very YUMMY recipe that I wanted to share for those doing a MSPI diet.
It was a huge hit with my 16 month old.  If you are worried about fat and sugar, then this may not be for you, BUT we are trying to increase calories everywhere possible.

BANANA'S FOSTER -PUDDING DESSERT

Ingredients:

Pudding: 

-   Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
-   Make with coconut milk instead of whole milk
-   Chill

Banana’s Foster:

-   1 Banana (sliced)
-   1 tablespoon of safe butter (I used fleishman’s light sticks)
-   1 to 1 ˝ tablespoons of brown sugar
-   Sprinkle of cinnamon

•   Over medium heat, combine butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in pan
until butter has melted.  Add banana’s and continue to cook over medium heat until the banana’s are soft.  About 3 – 5 minutes.

Poor over a cup of the pudding and ENJOY!!!
Wendy -

Offline SAHNE

• Proud momma to Carter, Turner, and one angel baby!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two little beasties who have stolen my heart!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 03:54:54 am »
Milk free Cookie Bars!  (toll house blonde brownies - not using toll house choc. though)

2 1/4 cups flour
3 eggs
2 1/2 tsp. bkg powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups - Choc. Chips (Ghirardelli makes milk free ones!!)
3/4 cups butter or margarine (milk/soy free - Fleishman's unsalted)
1 3/4 cups brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease jelly-roll (15x10) pan.  Combine flour, bkg powder and salt in a small bowl.  Beat sugar and butter in a lg. bowl until creamy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla; gradually add flour mixture.  Stir in morsels and spread in pan.  Bake 20-25 min.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 14:47:09 pm by SAHNE »
-Steph

Offline amy123

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 02:30:13 am »
Ooohhhh!!  What great recipes!  Here's a great one for oatmeal cookies.  I add raisins in, too....

1/2 C olive oil or sunflower oil
1/3 C brown sugar
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 egg white
3/4 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. water
2 C rolled oats
1/3 C unbleached white flour
1/3 C whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a cookie sheet (I used Pam spray).  Cream oil and sugars.  Mix in egg white, vanilla, and water.  Add oats, white flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix until blended.  Don't overmix or you'll lose texture of oats.  Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.  (I did 10 and that was plenty.)   Enjoy!

Offline smi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 23:20:43 pm »
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 3/4 c of Whole Wheat flour
1/4 c ground flax seed
1 T baking powder
dash salt (optional)
1/4 c sugar
1/4 unsweetened applesauce (1 snack sized container)
1/4 c water
1T olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
4 very ripe bananas
1 cup of chocolate chips or almonds, dried fruits and nuts or fruit

Directions

1 preheat oven to 350
2 using olive oil to oil 12 muffin tin or 6 texas/oversized muffin tin
3 in one bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, flax, baking powder and salt)
4 In a large mixing bowl w/ electric mixer or stand mixer, beat together wet ingredients ( sugar, bananas, applesauce water and vanilla)
5 in small batches add dry ingredients to wet until combined well
6 stir in chocolate chip, dried nuts ect
7 scoop into oiled muffin tin
8 bake for 40 minutes, cool on racks and enjoy

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 03:35:01 am »
A "Cream of Crap" substitution for you:

In a medium skillet, brown veggies (mushrooms, onions, celery, whatever you want, about 1/2 to 1 cup) in a tbsp of oil. Add 1 more tbsp oil when browned, and stir in 1 tbsp of flour. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 min. Add 1 to 2 cups of soy free chicken broth (heck you could use water in a pinch), stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Use as a substitute for "cream of crap" soup!
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 03:39:45 am »
Pesto Chicken

2-4 chicken breasts, no bones and diced, and cooked You can also grill whole chicken breasts and slice them for more flavor
4-8 servings of pasta, cooked to box directions
Mix that with the following pesto recipe:

Pesto

5 or so cloves garlic
15 large, fresh basil leaves (frozen works, but dried basil in the spice jar does not. have you started an indoor herb garden yet?)
1/2 cup of pine nuts (I've used walnuts, pecans, or cashews just fine)
salt and pepper to taste
7 or so tablespoons of olive oil

In a blender, blend together the above pesto ingredients, adding olive oil last to make an emulsion. Mix with pasta and chicken, or spread it on a toasted bread or pizza dough.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 03:42:45 am »
Italian Beef and Vegetable Casserole

1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt (or less)
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
4 oz whole wheat noodles, cooked

Saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic in oil in skillet.  Add beef.  Cook til meat is brown and crumbly, stirring frequently.  Drain.  Add tomato paste, tomatoes and seasonings.  Simmer for one hour.  Stir in spinach and noodles.  Spoon into casserole.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. 
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies