Author Topic: new here - 11 month night wakings  (Read 1122 times)

Offline massey1873

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:16:19 am »
First of I am not a CIO mom so no advice in that arena. Okay, no the uglies are over. She has been a very light sleeper since stopping breastfeeding at around 6 months (I need meds for PPD). I figured out she was allergic/sensitive to tomato and most likely formulas so she sleep normally (teething, growth spurts, etc.) For about a month now (consistently for at least a week) she has been waking up at night more than normal and harder to go back to sleep. She is barely teething, is in a major developmental stage - walking and now we are doing a no diary diet (just in case). She was waking up every twenty minutes on the dot. Nothing could keep her asleep longer. Since removing the diary - (per change maybe) she has been sleeping four or so hours and then waking up and SCREAMING for about 2 -3 hours. And I can't stop her - rocking, talking, playing, holding, feeding, tylenol, nothing works. I am attempting to co-sleep her way through this stage to keep her asleep during this period but so far has only worked half the time.

It is taking an emotional and physical toll on me. The doctor gave us an all clear physically but of course, two days later she had a 103 degree fever so now we are getting over that too.

When she wakes up - she keeps her eyes closed but screams and squirms around like she can't get comfortable. If I try to play - etc., she throws a fit - throwing herself backwards with her eyes closed. Maybe she is overtired but can't seem to get her calmed down.

Any ideas - I am too tired to attempt PU/PD - that just results in her throwing fits at this point and I can't emotionally handle that. I love her soo much it just kills me to her screaming like she is hurting and I can't fix it.

Offline massey1873

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 03:21:29 am »
Here is her information

11 months
7 am wake up
9: 30 first nap until about 10:30
1:30 -2:00 nap
4:30 or 5:00 brief nap (sometimes)
6:00 dinner
6:30 bath
7:00 play /blow dry hair (her and sisters)
8:00 bedtime (early if no nap)

Drinks out of a sippie cup - Nutramigen (sorry for the spelling) probably about 10 oz a day - she doesn't like it, only been taking it for a week

Props - me - sometimes rocking -

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: new here - 11 month night wakings
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 03:29:49 am »
Is she only sleeping for 30min at 1:30-2pm or is it longer?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline massey1873

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:17:45 pm »
this is the tricky nap. usually it is between 20-30 minutes. But ever few times she will stretch it out an hour (like it should be)

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 14:57:47 pm »
I think your daughter would definately benefit from a longer afternoon nap---sounds as though she is probably overtired come bedtime. the afternoon nap is the most important for night sleep. Overtired at bedtime can cause nightwakings.

I would visit the EASY forum and look at other people's routines for an 11month old child----to see an example of what naps should look like. I think are most are heading to a shorter morning nap/ longer pm nap---while some have dropped to one long afternoon nap all together. Then you can head over to the NAP section
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 16:16:46 pm »
Yes, definitely - that 2nd nap really needs to be longer.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline massey1873

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 18:05:14 pm »
while i definately agree with you ladies. I am unable to control the length of this nap. if she does wake up i try to get her back to sleep but shortly thereafter we leave to get her sister - and of course, that brings in a level of excitement to the house not allowing her to sleep again until she has seen her sister for at least an hour.

She is an extremely light sleeper - either by design or by habit. I realize sleep begets sleep any other suggestions?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 19:03:30 pm »
Frankly, I really think that she's in a cycle of overtiredness because she's not getting enough daytime sleep. For her well being you need to find a way to remedy that - perhaps reworking her routine to allow for that but also being able to pick up your other DD.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline massey1873

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 13:38:14 pm »
It just seems like an impossibility - this has been her schedule with only slight variations for 6 months - she can't skip the morning nap if she is up screaming for a few hours at night - she is too exhausted and i wouldn't try to make her.

Just a brief update: the change in routine has helped. Hubbie has slept on the couch and she in her co-sleeper and when she wakes up I put her to bed with me ( I did before but couldn't leave her there for long because hubbie sleeps hard and I didn't want to dooze off). She has also mastered walking within the last two days - and has not woke up screaming! So maybe it was a developmental thing. Please keep your finger's crossed.