Author Topic: Won't put self back to sleep in crib..  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Lessum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 05, 2006, 14:52:25 pm »
Hi...I am new here.  I just read "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems".  I am working to get my 3.5 month old on EASY.  Up until this week she took all her naps in the swing.  And she slept at night in a portable crib in our room.  This week I started putting her in her crib for naps and last night I put her in her crib to sleep.  She has done ok...considering all the changes.  She rarely slept more than an hour, if even that long in the swing.  Since putting her in her crib for her naps she sleeps 40 minutes to one hour and then wakes up.  The difference is that in her swing...recently she has been waking up after that time and then self-soothing (she likes her thumb) and going back to sleep...however in the crib she doesn't do this.  Why????  When she wakes up and I go in if she is upset/crying I do s/p and try to put her back down...sometimes with success....sometimes not.  If I go in and she is happy and smiling, I don't try to put her back down as if I do, she starts screaming and crying and then the rest of the day is downhill from there. 

Any suggestions?????
Thanks
Leslie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Won't put self back to sleep in crib..
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 15:44:44 pm »
It can take some time for any LO to get used to doing this in the crib instead of the swing. Also, in the swing, she is more tightly constricted so doesn't jolt as much. Do you swaddle? Use white noise? How long is she awake for between naps?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lessum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 16:02:32 pm »
I did start swaddling for naps and leave one arm out for her to get her thumb like we do at night.  We use nature sounds that she likes.  Today she was up 2 hours and then slept 40 minutes and woke up happy so I took her out and then she was up 1 hour and then slept another 45 minutes (this time in the swing).  Now she has been up over an hour and doing well.  She will probably take another nap around 1 or so....this is how her schedule was before we started trying to do EASY.  Yesterday she was up 2.5 hours then slept 45 minutes...then spent 45 minutes doing s/p and then she slept another 30 minutes.  In the afternoon yesterday she slept 45 minutes in her crib and then took ad 30 minutes catnap in her swing in the late afternoon.  Before I started trying to do EASY, she was always happy...never cried before/after naps....so...if it ain't broke...should I worry about trying to fix it?

thanks
Lesl

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 16:04:04 pm »
2 hours is a lot of awake time at her age - she could be overtired. Have you tried putting her down sooner - maybe after 1.5 hours of awake time?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lessum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 16:34:24 pm »
I used to put her down after 1.5...but i was working on putting her on the 4 hour EASY since she will be 4 months on the 13th and the book recommended 4 hour at 4 months.  Even at 2 hours she doesn't exhibit any cues of being tired....any other suggestions???

Leslie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 17:42:08 pm »
Have you had a look at our FAQ section? Have you tried W2S if she seems to habitually wake after 40 minutes?

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 18:18:21 pm »
Leslie,
Try to give the crib a little more time before you give up on it...you'll be glad later that you introduced it now when she is more flexible to change (even if it doesn't seem like it right now).  It's a pretty new experience for her, so it might take awhile to adjust, but she will and it will be quicker now than if you try to do it when she's older.

As for the EASY part of your schedule, what I learned from going throug this is not to get too hung up on time.  I couldn't tell if you were changing her awake time as well as introducing the crib.  It might be a lot to be introducing the crib and tweaking her awake time at the same time so if that's the case, maybe try the crib first at the usual intervals you were doing before and then look at getting more towards the 4 hour EASY.  I think it's helpful to think of EASY as a rhythm for the day rather than worrying too much about whether the exact time schedule is matching up -- some days the 4 hours is 3 and some days it's 5, but if you stick to the rhythm, your baby will gradually hit something like the schedules described in the book.

If you look at the EASY forum, you'll see schedules posted.

Hope that helps -- good luck!