Author Topic: More early wakings  (Read 950 times)

Offline Coopersmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
More early wakings
« on: October 06, 2006, 17:19:51 pm »

Hi all!  It's been awhile since I have posted.  Cooper just turned two and suddenly our 7:30-7 sleeper has turned into 8:00 until 6.  Ugh.  I have read the previous posts and am not sure which way to go.  He is a BEAR to wake up from naps so I can't tell if I am putting him down too late in the day.  He generally naps from 1:30-3:30 but I am waking him and he is mad as heck when I do.  The nap has remained the same since he began waking early (about 2 weeks now of the 6am-ish awake time) but he has been difficult to wake up for a couple of months.  What does it mean that he is so tough to wake up?  I would really prefer the early bed time so my husband and I can have some adult time but know I have to tweak it for whats best for all of us.  I think it's the nap but can't be sure.  What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance.
Laura 

Laura

Offline cata

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 17:49:05 pm »
Hi,
sorry you're having a hard time...
Has he always had long naps?
I would try to move back his nap time just 1/2 hour, and then keep the 8-8:30pm bedtime.
Are his molars cutting through?
Hope it improves! :)

Offline Coopersmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: More early wakings
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 18:57:37 pm »
His teeth have always been an issue as he is slooooooooooow to get them.  His canines are still working their way through so that could be an issue for sure.  I hadn't thought of that until you asked.  He has napped 2 plus hours since we went to the one nap around his first birthday.  The longer nap always meant a better nights sleep.  It alwasy seems like just when we've got it perfect...something new comes along to put a crimp in our plan.  :)
Laura

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:13:34 am »
  Cooper just turned two and suddenly our 7:30-7 sleeper has turned into 8:00 until 6.  Ugh. 
Is that 8pm - 6am? Perhaps he is overtired by 8am and not going into a deep sleep and the reason for early waking? How long does it take him to fall asleep at night?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Coopersmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 14:07:21 pm »
It takes him anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes to fall asleep.  He is able to fall asleep on his own and can soothe himself if he wakes up in the night.  I think 8pm is too late for him but when he naps until 3:30--the 7:30 time for bed seemed to early.  Yesterday I put him down for a nap 15 minutes earlier than usual and he was cheery when I woke him at 3:15.  He went to bed at 8pm and slept until 6:45 am.  I am going to try putting him down at 1:00pm today and see what happens.  I will wake him at 3 unless he wakes up himself.  What do you make of him waking up so grumpy from the nap?

Thanks for helping me work through this.  It is such a blessing. :)
Laura

Offline cata

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 17:12:12 pm »
Hi,
I think you are doing all the right things.
About him waking up grumpy from nap, it just happens with some kids. DS has ALWAYS woke up VERY grumpy from his naps. I have to cope with 15mins-1/2 hr of grumpiness, and then he is a happy boy.
When he wakes up from his nap (grumpy), I usually bring him to the tv room, and he'll get distracted with any tv show. I let him watch tv for no more than 15 mins. I know I shouldn't encourage tv, but it's so hard to listen to him crying for no apparent reason.

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 21:56:59 pm »
Laura mt DD sometimes wakes from her nap grumpy and in the past this has never happened. I generally find she does this when she is teething. Good luck with it all keep us posted ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Coopersmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 16:27:06 pm »
Well--the weekend was hit or miss.  We had family over on Friday night so Cooper didn't go down until after 8 but slept until 6:45.  That was great. Saturday was good too and we really worked hard on giving him only a 2 hour nap with a gentle wake up by 3:15.  It seems like if we go past 3:30pm for a nap, he wakes up earlier the next day. Last night was another story.  He woke at 1:45 am and wanted to be covered.  I did it.  He went back to sleep and woke up again at 2:00 am then 2:15 am.  Finally after 3 trips across the house to cover him up--I brought him in with us where he slept until 7.  I of course slept very little due to the constant kicking and his "sharing" of my pillow.  My husband seems to have slept fine as well.  Of course--he had half a king bed to himself.  :)
Hope today is better.  Going for the 1:00 nap time.

Thanks for listening

Laura
Laura