Author Topic: Attention moms of poor sleepers....  (Read 1526 times)

Offline LeahJK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 06, 2006, 21:37:53 pm »
I just wanted to share this with everyone who is battling short naps and night wakings.  Our LO is a horrible sleeper.  I tried everything and he just kept getting worse.  He was cranky during the day, always wanted to eat early.  I had a terrible time trying to keep him on track with his EASY.  Then last night after a particularly horrible evening and night wakings every 20 min. from 8:30 pm until 1 am, I decided to look into acid reflux.  For some reason I had dismissed it as the problem previously but decided to look into it.  I found a list of symptoms on the health boards.  He had over half of them!! We went to the doctor today and he gave us a script for Zantac.  Hopefully this will work for him.  Just wanted to tell you moms out there struggling with poor sleep to check for reflux, because a lot of the symptoms I never would have thought of (reoccurant hiccoughs for example).  Well hope this helps someone.

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: Attention moms of poor sleepers....
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 00:09:54 am »
Hi there, and I am sorry your babyb has reflux - mine does too.  Do you need any help with sleep methods?  Have you tried elevating the crib and things of this nature? 

Here is a helpful link:  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65742.0

Also, now that you have the Zantac (which worked great for us while we used it) know that the dose is calculated by weight, so as baby gains, he will need his pedi to increase it to work effectively.

Let me know if you needs any help with anything - and don't forget to check out all the posts on our reflux board!  Thank you for your post, I am sure it will be helpful.

Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline LeahJK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:01:39 am »
We just found out today. I elevated his mattress before he went to bed tonight.  Poor thing screamed half the evening.  I had also recently switched his formula from Nestle Good Start to Parent's Choice.  I think I need to switch back since this seemed to make it worse.  I could definitely use any advice and I'm curious to what an EASY looks like with a reflux baby since they recommend smaller and more frequent feedings.  He is 5 months old.  Thank you so much for your help!!

Leah

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 02:14:09 am »
((((HUGS)))) Leah. 

Aisling x

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 02:34:48 am »
Owen was diagnosed at 4m - he had it before then but they called it colic and I was none the wiser, then.  I will share with you my experiences in hope that perhaps something will work for you too.

We use Alimentum and Dr Brown's bottles - this combo plus Zantac at 4m gave my son his smile back.  Alimentum is one of those hydrolysed protein fromulas.  It is also a bit thicker, which helps it stay down.  The DB bottles, help with gas - we LOVE them and will use them for our next baby.

We elevated the mattress pretty high, about 6inches at first.  This of course created a slide lol.  So, I made a speed bump by rolling an adult sized blanket up really tight into a long log and securing it with tape.  I placed this under the fitted mattress sheet at the level where Owen's feet rested - and taped it to the mattress there so it wouldn't move.  It was kind of like a shelf lol.  Anyhow, it kept him for sliding down!

We always feed, then keep upright for 30mins.  When he was little, we used the bouncey seat and put him in front of baby einstein (which are 30mins long!).  This was he was still and calm for 30mins and it helps reduce spit ups.  We did tummy time 15mins before the next feeding, to try catch his tummy empty so he wouldn't spit up when on his tummy.

A swaddle, snug may help tons.  Until the Zantac kicks in (usually 2 weeks to see the full effect - but it should get better along the way) I would help him sleep anyway he is comfy - honest.  Swing, carseat - whatever he wants.  After the meds kick in, you can undo anything you don't want.  He needs to rest to heal, so help him do that anyway you can. 

How often are you givng the Zantac.  We started at once a day and ended at 3 times a day, then we has to switch to a PPI because he was at the highest dose of Zantac for his weight.  But the Zantac was awesome!  I hope it works well for your DS too.

As for Easy, when Owen's reflux flares up - he refuses to eat.  We never really did small frequent meals.  I think once the meds kick in you will find your baby may not need that frequency either.  Can you show me what your Easy looks like at the moment?  Maybe I can offer some advice about it?

Hope this helps some - HUGS,
Zoey

Offline LeahJK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:59:23 am »
Good idea about the blanket under the crib sheet.  I'll have to try that.  The doctor started him out at 1/2 tsp 2x a day.  (he's a big boy, 18 lbs 3 oz.)  Today is day number 2 of medication and already I'm seeing improvement.  He was quite happy and slept so much better, although admittedly one nap was spent mostly in grandma's arms :).  Our EASY was never really on track.  I would try to start at 7am with a feed, then 2 hours of activity, then 1/12 of naps, but he always woke early (5am) and would sometimes go back to sleep for a little while between 6am and 7am, but not always so he was always tired early for naps, but would only stay down for 20-30 min.  Then he would want to eat early (at least this is what I thought because of the screaming, nothing else would appease him), but he wouldn't take enough to hold him 4 hours( usually only 4-5 oz).  So things just snowballed and there really wasn't much structure to the day.  Hopefully now that he has meds this will change.  I pretty much have just tried to follow the sample  4 month old EASY in Tracy's book The BW solves all your problems.  Thanks for your help Zoey.  It's nice to know someone understands.  I have a niece (named Zoe  :) who is 1 month older than my Nathan and she is an Angel baby so my sister-in-law does not understand the stress we've been under.  HUGS, Leah

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 02:16:46 am »
Wow that's SO great that you are seeing results!  I am so happy for you both!  My best advice is, don't feel guilty or any other way about how you help him sleep now.  Once the meds are working 100% you can fix all that.  I would be more then happy to help you with your Easy if you wish.  Let me know when you feel comfy putting him on a routine and I'll hop to it! 

I hope things continue to get better, I can PM you some helpful sites about reflux if you wish - let me know.

Love,
Zoey

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 08:12:57 am »
Hi there! I also wanted to offer my support as we went through similar stuff and would be gald to help! VERY good that LO is on meds now as things will start lookign up soon and of course, you have the words of wisdom of the lovely gals here at BW so you'll be fine ;)

Offline mariateresa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 14:23:20 pm »
Hi, mu daughter has reflux too and I know how hard this is. I am glad that things are better now. My daughter is 7 weeks old and was placed in Zantac too. However, she continues to struggle. We are going to the Doctor on Monday. Maybe since you have mentioned that the dosage needs to be adjusted by weight. Maybe that is what she needs. I have a question. i have read other post in which they struggle when they start weaning the medication off I am going to ask my Doctor tomorrow. Maybe that is something that you can ask as well.

Offline LeahJK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 01:03:58 am »
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for your advice and support.  I'm so glad I found this website.  Hugs to all, Leah