Author Topic: What is in apples that my lo cannot tolerate????  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
What is in apples that my lo cannot tolerate????
« on: October 06, 2006, 22:54:21 pm »
Okay, I have posted about this before and got some good responses, but everytime my lo eats freeze dried apples they come out whole. 

For example:  Today at lunch he had freeze dried apples and raisans for the very first time.  6 hours later the raisens and the apples all came out, 15 minutes later he pooped again and it was diaherra with all apples and a few raisans.  This is so gross, but they were so whole that I could have just "re-cycled" them if I wanted to.  It was like he never ate them.

Questions:

1.) Is 6 hours a normal digesting time for a 14 month old?

2.) I don't think it was the raisans that upset his tummy because he has done this everytime with the apples.

3.) What in the world could be in apples to make him do this?

He screams and cries until he gets those freeze dried apples, that is all he will eat (or most of) lately.

Any idea??

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

Re: What is in apples that my lo cannot tolerate????
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 00:11:32 am »
I think raisins and corn etc usually come out whole iykwim. As for craving the apples, I rememember reading somewhere that sometimes you crave the foods you are allergic to, but usually just in the case of if you had a yeast allergy, you would crave bread to "feed" the existing yeast, so to speak. Hope that makes sense. Maybe it is just the texture of them that make them come out like that. Either way, I would hold off on them if they are causing diarrhea . You have enough to deal with at the moment!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 00:40:08 am »
Thanks for that reminder Binxy, I had forgotten that bit about allergies.  On the other hand, mine "recycled" her raisins, but I'm sure that's because she has no molars to chew them.  If I swallowed them whole, same thing would happen.   I would hold off on the apples though.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 02:51:57 am »
Yeah I don't think I have a choice, just really weird.  He is so used the apples being on top of the refg. that you just whines and looks up at the fridge until you give them to him.

I am just going to replace the apples for cheerios or something...  I will try to trick him.

Thanks everyone!
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 02:59:51 am »
Do they still make apple Cinnamon Cheerios?  That might work.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 03:05:55 am »
Hummm  good idea, I will check that out because he LOVES apple stuff. 

Thanks
Wendy -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 21:06:57 pm »
They also make freeze dried banana/strawberry and banana/pineapple - will he eat those instead?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 21:11:57 pm »
Raisins can act as a laxative if you give too many ! I haven't a clue with the apples but i do remember when Ryan was younger the same happened , we stopped giving apples though as they can be acidic and aggrevate his reflux
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 23:55:53 pm »
Oh wow, I did not know that about the apples aggrevating reflux.  Yeah I am sure that has made his worse.

I actually just look them all away, actually will give them to a friend.

This morning it was really really bad another diaper FULL...  That is it, pretty darn gross.
Wendy -

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 21:43:08 pm »
Our DS is the opposite.

When we give him apples they constipate him.  He was drinking apple juice for a few weeks, and the poor boy was soooo constipated, we had to resort to prune juice to help him.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 23:44:09 pm »
Agreeing with Nadia regarding apples and reflux - we rarely eat apples here anymore due to the acid and applesauce poop.  They came out just as they went in. 

Good Luck

...its what you do when you get back up.