Author Topic: rountine mess up from surgery  (Read 695 times)

Offline mezzacca41

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 07, 2006, 10:15:13 am »
Hi!  I hope someone can help me here.  No one is responding to me on naps or breastfeeding board.  My dd had a cyst on her lung and got it and part of it removed 2 weeks ago.  She was in NICU for 4 days.  She has been off all meds for at least 7 days.  She was doing great before this however we did go from 5 feeds a day to 6 right before surgery because of growth spurt.  I wouldlike to drop to 5 again, but unsure of how.  She did this on her own before.

I am so sleep deprived and feel bad for ds because i am always trying to get dd to nap.  Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How old is your child? 5 mo.

What’s his/her daily routine?  It was 4 hour EASY.  Now it is all over the place.

What’s nap routine?-  She basically would go happily into crib and she sometimes does, but they are too short.  Or sometimes she screams and cries for awhile.

How long are naps? 45 mins if I am lucky.

What's bedtime routine? Time?  We play a quiet game with my ds and then we read a book.  Then she falls asleep and she use to stay asleep until df.  Now she is up 45 min after she is put to bed and cries.  We can usually calm her with her pacifier and she goes to sleep real quick again.  Does not need pacifier all the time to go to sleep.  I think when she is overtired she needs it.

Do you bottle or breastfed?? bf
How much? or how long? 10 mins.  It was for 15 min. before we went back to 6 times a day.
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) use to be one side.  Now she goes back and forth on both sides about two times each in a 10 min period.  Sometimes a little less.  DF and first in morning are 10 in. one side no fussing, playing or pulling off.

How many wakes per night? 3 or 4, this morning more like 6 times. 

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? She cries and we give her a binky.  And she will usually go back right away unless it is after 5, then it will be a screaming cry.  I will feed her then and she will go back to sleep and sleep more soundly.  I try not to feed her until 6 but this morning she was screaming and i didn't want ds up too.  She use to sleep thru the night from df to 7:30-8 and wake up happy.  And this was with 5 feedings a day!

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? I give a few min. and then give bink and she settles down.  She did mantra cry 2 times a few nights ago and soothed herself back 2 times and made until 6:50.  I thought we were thru with this, but i guess not.

What have you tried to settle?? bink or shusshing

What do you do for A time and how long is it?  It is usually 1.4 hrs. or 2.  Today she would not nap.  Finally took one at 12.  She got up at 7:15!

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? teething, but that has been for a long time now

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)No, and i don't plan on it till she shows signs,

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? bink

Do they have a lovie?trying to find something.  how do i do this sucessfully?  She will suck on blanket in strollers.

Offline calebs mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
Re: rountine mess up from surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 15:42:01 pm »
WOW!  You guys have been through a lot.  I am glad she is doing better!  Just keep in mind that having surgery and being in the hospital are major events for a little one.  I would just keep being consistent and try to go with EASY.  Don't stress if it doesn't go as smoothly as it use to.  It will probably take some time for her to get back to her old routine after all she has been through.  Don't push her to fast because her body is still recovering.  Hang in there! 
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 17:35:11 pm »
First of all (((HUGS)))!  You guys have been through a lot.  It sounds to me like your lo might be stuck in a cycle of overtiredness.  I agree with PP that you have to be gentle give her lots of cuddles during awake time to reassure her...a hospital stay and surgery are pretty traumatic.  I would work toward getting EASY back on track as much as you can and hopefully that will eliminate the overtiredness, helping the night wakings!

Have you tried using pat/shh to get her back to sleep after 45 minutes into her nap?  It may take a long time (I spent 20 minutes of my ds's nap in his room today because he woke after 40 minutes) but if you can get her back to sleep you will set the stage for better sleep.

HTH - Good luck!

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:33:28 am »
Hugs to you and your baby.  How are things going?

Love,
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.