Author Topic: in the middle of a 3.5hour wo wi NEED HELP  (Read 952 times)

Offline Guava

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
in the middle of a 3.5hour wo wi NEED HELP
« on: October 07, 2006, 17:07:41 pm »
Started 9.20am after an earrly wake up.
Have been through every imaginable combination of hysterical, yelling at her teddies, laughing, bouncing off the walls and barking at the moon.
1 year old is doing anything BUT settle.
Sometimes is besides herself even if am next to her, other times is fine without me.
Generally have been back in every 3 minutes if she was calming and every count of 5 if not.
Now she has been playing with and chatting to her teddies for over half an hour
WHAT DO I DO NOW?
Get her up, leave her in?
I gave her bottles to stave off hunger (which she would have anyway because thats another issue we need to deal with)
This is my first attempt at this and I just wish I had a teddy to yel at right now.
HELP!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: in the middle of a 3.5hour wo wi NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 19:22:57 pm »
Just a few thoughts for you:

First off, if she's calm, then don't go back in.  You could be getting her worked up again if she's starting to calm.  Definitely continue going back in every count of 5 if she's crying like she needs you, but if she's not crying hard and consistently, then just let her be (unless she starts crying again, then go back in).

How early did she wake?  Is she on one or two naps?  9:20 seems early to me, so maybe she's not really tired, but if you're on two naps and she woke early it would make sense.

Hope she got some sleep...

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 19:25:46 pm »
I used PD (put down) with my DS at a year and it worked a treat, Im not sure on why people choose PD or WI/WO, maybe its just what suits them?

I havent got much advice as Ive never done this but if shes calm I would definately not go back in!!

Good luck xxx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 19:26:54 pm »
OK, just looked at your other post, sounds like the 2 naps are good and you're sticking with them.  What did you end up doing in terms of sleep/eating?  Hope it worked out for you.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 19:27:50 pm »
Would agree, if she is calm and just playing and chatting then don't go in and leave her to it and she may drop off.
Why dont you post your typical day schedule so we can see how naps and amount of wake time are.

Fiona

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 19:52:32 pm »
I'm not an expert, but have had success with this recently.  Honestly the benefits are huge.  Alex always falls to sleep within half an hour and rarely wakes during the night, if she does it's either teeth or wet, and always is back sleeping within half an hour.  This is from someone who has been an 'accidental parent 'for 1 year  Please hang in there and take advice from these wonderful ladies, I owe them my sanity.  It will work, stay calm, it may have taking 3 hours tonight, it may be 3 hours tomorrow, but it will get better, honest.
Good luck.

Offline Guava

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 20:38:22 pm »
Thanks everyone.
Well she didn't sleep - she just played until she was really hungry, so I got her up and fed her and now we are on round two - which is looking remarkably similar to round 1.
Anyhow - I should mentione we just moved house and she is waking earlier in the new room
Generally she would wake around 7 but she has always got tired really early in the mornings and has generally needed to nap by around 9.30 - when she will nap for 45mins to 1.5 hours depending on whether she is teething or not - more if she is.
Then she would nap be pretty good up until around 2-3 when she would nap for 1.5 hours to 2 hours.
Then she would be good until after dinner when we would do a wind down routine, bath, book etc one with each of the kids and bed by 8 at the latest.  We try for 7.30pm, but it doesn't always work out.
Then she has been waking twice through the night about half the time recently, waking a gazillion times about a quarter of the time and sleeping through the rest.
She is calmer now so I wil let you know how it goes.
One thing is I am determined to stick with this.
I realise especially that during my 40hour journey home at the end of November for Christmas that involves 3 flights and one hotel, for she really is going to need to know how to fall asleep on her own.  Also once we get back she will have 3 weeks in her own bedroom at my parents then 3 weeks back in with us at my husbands and an entire climate change from where we are plus about a million people visiting each household as opposed to just us - so she will have enough to contend with.
Thanks
S

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 21:14:41 pm »
Since you just moved, have you looked at how her new room is different than her old one?  More/less light, more/less noise?  Our LO has always slept with a white noise machine which made her transition to our new house easier, however her new room was much, much darker than her old one, so after a few weeks of hysterical wakings, I realized the dark was bothering her and gave her a night light to sleep with which has worked very well.  Maybe some blackout shades on her windows -- she could be getting morning sun now where she didn't before.  Just some thoughts...