Author Topic: How Old for Big Bed?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline RachelzMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How Old for Big Bed?
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:25:56 am »
I'm actually asking this for a friend of mine, who's son is 18 months old.  They just moved to a smaller house, and now her 2 boys ages 3 1/2 and 18 months have to share a room.  She bought bunk beds to save room, and she has the crib for the baby in the lower part of the bunk beds.  Though it's a great idea, it is a little bit cumbersome for her and so she's wondering if it's too soon to think about getting her younger son into a toddler bed.  He's a big boy, about 30 pounds and 35 inches tall.  He's a good sleeper in the crib and puts himself to sleep.  I told her I'd post this question to get an idea of what ages babies have gone into big beds.  So as many responses as possible would be great.  Usually here in the US the ages have been around 2 years old, but I'd be curious if it's different in the UK.

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: How Old for Big Bed?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 21:24:46 pm »
We actually moved our DS to an air bed at 14 months, this was due to the fact that he has talipes, and wears a boot and bar at night to correct his feet, and he kept on getting his feet stuck in the bars of his cot and waking himself up.

He adjusted really well.

When I was thinking about this, I had a lot of advice, and some people said that they moved their lo's to a bed at around 15 months.

We are sticking with the air bed for now, and will probably move over to a big boy bed at around 18/19 months and see how he goes.

HTH

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 21:50:46 pm »
We moved Ryan at 15 months as he had associated his crib/cot with pain after a bad reflux flare up .He transitioned with no problems , it was a bit easier for us as Ryan wasn't walking at this age .We just put his crib/cot mattress on the floor incase he fell out of bed.We also had a bed guard on the side but they are not very long .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 15:07:15 pm »
what about a mattress on the floor so that he won't fall out?  can he get himself off of an ordinary bed safely?  does he move a lot in his sleep?  i think that those are the most important considerations...

Offline Pigeon

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:19:57 am »
HI, we moved DD a couple of weeks ago in preparation for new LO due in March. So far, so good, she loves it!
Laura, studying SAHM of
Megan Isabelle - April 2004
William Harvey (Billy) - March 2007

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 19:57:13 pm »
DD1 is still in her crib at 20 months, but I've heard of lots of people transitioning from the crib as early as 18 months.  My sister did it with her first at around 17 - 18 months.  I think no matter when you do it, you're going to encounter some sleep issues I would just tell your friend to make sure her LO can't fall out of bed.