Author Topic: Does my lo have too many toys and causing him to overstimulated?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
My lo is 14 months old and considered a touchy baby.

For some reason he hates being inside at home.  He loves going outside (which is fine with me), but he does mind indoors at other people's houses.

Could he have just way to many toys and he gets to confused on what to do next?

His playroom, where all his toys are is in our living room.  It is a good size room.  This is what we have in it:

- Couch, Recliner, Chase Lounge
- Book Shelf with toys on it for him
- Small kids art desk for him to sit at
- toy box full of toys
- Fisher Price Laugh and Learn house
- Fisher Price Wall (forget the name of it, but it is a bigger toy)
- Little Tykes Swing and Slide Castle

Our T.V is above the fire place (built in entertainment center).

Sounds like a lot of toys.  I went a little over board with the toys for him (when I worked). 

Should I try taking some of the stuff out or roating his toys???

What does your lo's play with and do they have a ton of toys in one room?

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

Re: Does my lo have too many toys and causing him to overstimulated?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:56:47 am »
I meant to say he does NOT mind being inside at other people's houses.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Nikki~

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 01:59:49 am »
For both kids, in our lounge we have a small toybox with various toys (stacking rings, wooden puzzle, shape toy, train track, stacking boxes), a box of wooden blocks, a Playskool Weebles toy, table and chairs with pens/paper/playdough. Everything else is in their rooms. They mostly play in the lounge, and I will occasionally rotate the toys from their rooms into the lounge. Sometimes in the afternoon we hang out in the bedrooms and play with everything down there, so it does feel to them like rediscovered toys. I think rotation is a good idea. What I would do is leave about 10 toys out for him and see what he goes for. You will be amazed at how differently he plays with them - before I removed the bulk out of our lounge, things were just getting tossed around and gone through rather than any substantial time being used to play with anything.

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
I reckon they can have too many toys and agree with your point that it can be overwhelming.  I split DD's toys in two and rotate the 2 boxes.  She rarely even looks in her toy box, I usually get about 3 toys out for the half day and scatter them thru the room. 

I basically need to get DD out and about at least every second day, she gets quite ratty and bored being in the one room.  She loves outside as your bub does and I'm fortunate of that as I love to potter in my garden (sheesh I sound like a grandma not a ma!). 
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 00:23:09 am »
Thanks everyone:  I actually moved  his toy box out of the living room and replaced it with a small round basket with just a few toys.

This morning, he just kept looking around and would not go over to the basket.  Finally my hubby said I should bring the toy box back down.  When I did, my sons eyes just got really big and he was so excited. 

Funny, he missed it.  I did bring one new toy down stairs today and he played with a lot, so I am just going to rotate his toys once he stops playing with it.

Thanks again!
Wendy
Wendy -