Author Topic: what is a "dummy" ?  (Read 845 times)

Offline mommy2chase

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:33:14 am »
Hi, just reading some posts as I can't seem to get my 11 1/2 month to sleep through the night.  I see people talk about the "dummy" and I just wanna know what it is?

Thanks!!

Oh, any tips on encouraging a "comfort item"?  My ds sleeps with stuffed animals (4) and 2 blankies, but I really dont' think he'd notice if they were gone.  Can I somehow try to get him more attached to them?

Thanks!!!

Offline daniellechiasson

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My two greatest loves.
Re: what is a "dummy" ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:35:09 am »
dummy=pacifer=soother

Offline mommy2chase

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:54:35 am »
thanks!!!!

So what does everyone do to wean them from this?

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Re: what is a "dummy" ?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:55:13 am »
lol, dummies are the british versions (and maybe elsewhere) of soothers or pacifiers  :D

as for the luvvies, hmm. have you tried sleeping with a few so that they smell of you? or having them accompany you through your naptime and bedtime routines? DS has several, and they read books with us, hold his sippy (they're mostly furry puppets!) and turn off the lights, then cuddle down with him in his crib.

i always thought that DS wasn't attached to his, but then snuck in one day for w2s, and by the light of my cellphone saw his arm firmly cuddled around his elephant. now if he sees one on the floor, he'll crawl over to it, bury his face in it, and try to lie down  :D ::)

hth!

p.s. weaning from the dummy or the loveys? check out the props board. lots of excellent advice there!