Author Topic: Is poor sleep related to sep anxiety???  (Read 544 times)

Offline Oggy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Is poor sleep related to sep anxiety???
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:51:17 am »
8th October 2007

I tend to read notes for reassurance but don't post many as my little girl (14 months) has always been a content baby and ate and slept like a perfect child (most of the time!).

DD has always been a shy child and cried if a stranger got too close and has always needed lots of reassurance when in adult company. 

The problem is that I had 13 months off work and returned 5 weeks ago on a part time basis, since then this clingyness has become suffocating.  I know most children experience a level of separation anxiety around this time but DD is terrible, she doesn't leave my side, my dh gets frustrated as she won't sit /play with him and won't allow him to feed her.  When we go to friends / family houses she screams if I leave the room for even a few seconds. 

I understand this anxiety is brought on by my return to work 3 days a week but it seems to co-inside with a sleep problem which making everything 100 times worse!

DD used to sleep from 7pm to 7am, recently she goes down at 7pm with no issues but wakes at 10, 11, 12 and then again at 5am not being able to settle her as she's desperate to get up.  I've tried all the walk in walk outand the shh pat methods but as soon as she sees me that's it, if I walk out she screams.  I've tried sending my husband in but she doesn't settle for him and he gets frustrated as 5am is too early for all of us!

I can't understand what's waking her at 5am, she's not cold and shouldn't be hungry so I'm lost and is becoming an increasing problem please help I could do with a little reassurance myself!!!   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9th October 2007

Please help I'm desperate now.

DD slept until 3am this morning then woke up screaming, dh and I took it in turns to sooth her back to sleep but as soon as we stepped foot outside the door she woke up again crying.  After an hour we were beside ourselves and had to leave her to cry, after 20 minutes she fell asleep.  I hate leaving her to cry but we knew she wasn't in any discomfort, hungry or cold.  She fell asleep for an hour and at 5 she woke up again crying.  this time she wasn't going back to sleep and we had to get up with her.

The other thing is recently she's stopped sucking her thumb (I have no idea why) she used to use it to get back to sleep but won't touch it now.

Please please help us - any advice   

Mum to:
Amelia -August '05
Evie -June '08