Author Topic: SA--do we just ride it out?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline ks6

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
« on: October 09, 2006, 15:26:59 pm »
Ds is 15 months and separation anxiety is back.  He's fine for sleeping, but otherwise, I can't even go to the bathroom without a meltdown.  I'm fine with this if I know it will pass on it's own.  So will it?  Or do I have to do something about it?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: SA--do we just ride it out?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 18:43:22 pm »
Hi Kim--
Not sure if you've seen this, but this is from the separation anxiety FAQ on the sleep boards.

Is there anything else I can do during the day to help my baby through this transition?
     - anything that will help your child develop object permanence (the idea that even if you can't see something, you understand that it still exists and will come back) 
some ideas:
          o play peekabo
          o don't try & sneak out on your child – tell him you are leaving, and then you will be right back (sound chipper!); then when you return, say "here I am!" with smiles and hugs
          o when soothing your child during playtime, see if you can get down to his level & gently talk to him & cuddle him, rather than scooping him up
          o try working/reading/cooking/fill-in-the-blank right next to him, and gradually slide farther away – again, not leaving without telling him

(I only copied this piece as the rest of it related solely to sleep and wi/wo.)  It does get better eventually, some people seem to go through it for much longer than others and I don't know what the rhyme or reason is behind the variation.  The tips above may help it pass more quickly though.  And I've had many days too where I've gone to the bathroom with DD on my lap  ::) (though we seem to be past that now :) )

Offline ks6

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:32:54 am »
Thanks--hopefully this won't last too long.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: SA--do we just ride it out?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 15:40:41 pm »
Ewan did sort of the same thing at that age and it was teething.  Could your little one be teething?

Offline ks6

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 17:43:02 pm »
Nope--there aren't any more teeth left to come in.  :-\