Author Topic: Newbie here - must you gradually change from 3 hr easy to 3.5-4hr?  (Read 4500 times)

Offline mac_clarey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Newbie here - must you gradually change from 3 hr easy to 3.5-4hr?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 17:52:55 pm »
Thanks so much again everyone for your kind words and suggestions.

Today has went well so far and has been a definite improvement. Cameron drained his mid morning bottle, none of the playing about that we'd been having. I topped and tailed him and played with him on his changing mat and then his baby gym, a total A time of an hour and a half. My MIL came over and took him out for a walk and I relaxed and dozed  :D. He slept from 12.45 to 15.45!!I fed him and again he drained the bottle quickly.He was still very sleepy and kept dozing on me while I was winding him. I changed his nappy then we lay on my bed and had some quiet time. I found a bigger sheet to swaddle him in and put him in his crib awake at 1710. He protested a bit but fell asleep at 1717 to 1751, so again, a slightly longer nap than of late.I tried shushing him but he got very upset so I got him up. He has been whiny since and is very sleepy and keeps yawning. I'm just about to feed him then have his bath and bed and then see what the night brings  ???. I am determined to keep him out of our bed and hopefully I will be strong enough to see it through.

Better go. Thanks again.Clare xx

Offline rebecaq

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 18:46:11 pm »
Oh Clare!!! That's great news!!!

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline mac_clarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 08:10:55 am »
Morning, just thought I'd let you know how our night went - not very well!! On the plus side, I did manage to keep Cameron out of our bed. I nearly caved in around 5am but dh stepped in and took over and reminded me why we were doing it and it'll get better. DS was crying 6 times between 10-11pm, and another 7 times between 1.45 and 6am. At all times his eyes were closed and his cries were like the mantra cries I've read about. I've obviously been too quick to pick him up in the past. Generally he settled back within a few minutes with me shushing him and having my arm across his body quite firmly and my other arm holding down that rogue arm he gets out of the swaddle!! I promised dh I'd let ds shout for 5 mins before picking him out and we never made it that long. I had to pick him out twice to reswaddle - I think I'll have to hunt for a baby straight jacket for him (just kidding!!!). He is very jerky and it seems to take him a while to really relax into a deep sleep.

This morning he was fed at 7 and lay on his mat till 8.15, we had some quiet tummy time and then went upstairs to wind down. I think he has been far too stimulated during the day. He lay peacefully in his crib and I put his mobile on.He was asleep by 8.47. Hopefully he'll go to at least 9.30, think I'd be happy with that at this stage, anything more than 20 mins is a bonus.

Hopefully tonight will be a bit better, its so tough staying strong during the night. Anyway, thanks again for all your help everyone. Fingers crossed for today  ;)

Offline deemum

• www.anfeirmbeag.com
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 09:42:08 am »
you are doing so well, it is very hard to be strong during the night, all you want is sleep! keep it up and good luck for tonight, :-*
Dee

Offline rebecaq

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 12:13:01 pm »
Clare,

Have you considered a baby sleeping bag or a grobag?  Here's the link for the grobag so you can see what it's like

http://www.babysleepshop.com/acatalog/NEW_Cosy_Cocoon.html

I have also heard of swaddling blankets that come with velcro so it's doesn't come undone.  Have to keep googling  until I find it  ;)

And hooray for dh being so supportive!! He's a keeper  ;D

You seem to have the discovered the most important piece of evidence. Overstimulation. It's hard to believe what can send a baby off into the world of overstimulation. I'm glad he went down so easily for you and hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Once he starts sleeping more than 20 mins I really recommend you stop by our nap boards and se how to keep extending those naps.

Glad to hear things are looking up! :-*

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 13:13:00 pm »
Yay Clare!!!!  It's definitely a team effort and you are doing the best thing for your LO right now so keep at it... and take the occassional break away from home too to get refreshed!

It's so tough at nights when you are half asleep yourself!!  I can't wait to hear more updates soon. :)

Wei

Offline mac_clarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 16:07:25 pm »
Hi again, thanks for your posts.

I am pleased to report we have had  good day!! My mil came over again and took Cameron for a long walk (in awful weather  :)) and I got a snooze. It would have been a proper full on sleep if it hadn't have been for workmen down the road, what are the chances!! LOL. I'm sure I'm destined not to get a good sleep!!

Cameron has slept well today and I have just put him down for his catnap and he was asleep within 2 minutes, I can't believe it. Hopefully he will last more than 20 minutes.

He has taken his bottles well today and I can see a difference in him already with having good naps.

Beca - thank you for the link, there are a lot of great things on there. I will have a proper look with dh and see what he thinks too.

We have tried a sleeping bag with Cameron before but his wee arms flew about all over the place and kept waking him up so we went back to swaddling.

I wonder what tonight will bring?! Even if we can get 2 straight hours of sleep I will be delighted. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers to the "sleep gods". If I can get even 2 hours sleep I think I will try and venture out tomorrow since I should be able to wash my hair tomorrow- I had to keep it dry so the medical glue stuff wouldn't dissolve - yuk!!

Thanks ever so much again for all your support, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I wish I posted here weeks ago and maybe we wouldn't be in this situation and I wouldn't have yucky dried blood hair LOL!!

Clare XX

Offline xfionax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • We are English living in Thailand
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 07:15:34 am »
I'm so happy that things are going better for you Clare. ;D I've got my fingers crossed that it just keeps getting better. ;)

I didn't use one, but I've heard that Miracle Blankets are good for swaddling. I think you can get them in Mothercare.

Offline mac_clarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 12:21:05 pm »
Hi, thanks again for your posts.

Stacy - I will try an extra ounce as you suggest.

Fionaandlucy - I've seen that blanket on Mothercare website, it looks like what we need but I think it'll be too small for our chunky monkey!! Thanks though, I'll bear it in mind for the next baby!! (I'm not put off...yet!!).

I am delighted to report that things are improving dramatically. Cameron slept a lot better last night. He woke a couple of times before midnight but quickly settled back down. He had his little mantra shouts and we left him to it, well I sat at his crib, and didnt pick him out. He woke maybe 4 times after that but again, went back to sleep quickly. So all in all a success!! 2nd night without bringing him into bed  ;D

This morning was the real surprise. I took him up for his nap at 8.30am and he was asleep by 8.40, stirred at 10.10 and had a few shouts later and I had to wake him for his bottle at 11am. An absolute miracle! I was so pleased I could've cried!

My MIL is over again today and has taken Cam out for a walk so I've had a quick scoot about tidying up and am now away to lie down and hopefully sleep!!

I am so glad I posted here, thanks to all your suggestions the improvement is unbelievable. Your support has been so appreciated too. Hopefully things will continue to go well and maybe that extra ounce of formula will make him sleep a wee bit longer still.

Thanks again.

Clare XX

Offline jomige

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 12:40:38 pm »
Clare,
I am so happy for you that things are going better!  I remember the day that things clicked for my LO...you feel like a new person!  And it is so nice you have a supportive MIL that comes to give you a much deserved break! 

Keep up the good work.  Things will keep getting better and better albeit the occasional bump!

We've hit a bump...my LO has her first cold...she is doing well but not her usual happy self.  She just wants to snuggle (which I don't mind) and is a bit crankier at nap time.  But she is staying pretty much on schedule eating wise which is nice! 

Good luck!  And happy napping!

Jodi
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline mac_clarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 12:48:23 pm »
Thanks Jodi. Hope your DD gets better soon - poor little mite!