Author Topic: Night Wakings @ 10 mo.  (Read 890 times)

Offline TiffanyNoel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Jericho Levi
Night Wakings @ 10 mo.
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:12:59 am »
How old is your child?
What’s his/her daily routine?
What’s nap routine?
How long are naps?
What's bedtime routine? Time?
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle
How much? or how long? 4x day- 6 oz. each
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 1-2 (not consistantly each night, but about 3x this week)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? hysterical, seems scared and is wide awake but not crying once calmed for 1-2 hrs.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying, not mantra cry
What have you tried to settle?? i try to just comfort in crib and if he continues to cry i pick up and settle and then put back in crib. he is then awake for a long time and will cry if i leave. he doesn't need picked up at this point, but wants me to stay with him until he falls asleep but this takes a long time. last night i laid down with him in the guest bed to see if he would fall asleep with me, but stayed awake for an hour quietly fidgeting and looking around. i finally laid him in crib after an hour and he went to sleep pretty quickly after that. but then woke up an hour and a half later(about 20 minutes before regular wake time) and was ready to be up for the day.
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
Routine:
7:30: bottle
A
9 or 9:30: breakfast (solids)
10: nap
11: bottle
A
12:30 or 1: Lunch (solids)
A
2:30: Bottle
3: nap
5: Dinner
A
7:45: Bottle and bedtime routine
Sleep: 8:15

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? He's been teething for the last couple of months pretty consistently. doesn't seem to be really bothering him right now. has a touch of a cough. starting crawling 2 weeks ago.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? No props
Do they have a lovie? Nothing he's attached to. sometimes i put one in his crib if he is having a hard time falling to sleep and it seems to calm him.

I pretty much described the problem in the "settle" question. he does seem to be scared when he wakes and it happened today during his afternoon nap and he woke up after 1 hour and i wasn't able to get him back to sleep. but we did try for 30 minutes. he just cried pretty hard the whole time. at night, i am able to settle him, but i don't want to stand by his crib for a couple of hours waiting for him to fall asleep again! he has always been a really great sleeper and knows how to self soothe, so i know he wants to be comforted by my presence during these night wakings, otherwise, he would put himself back to sleep. it's like he's waiting for himself to fall asleep during these times as well because he just lays there with his eyes open but not playing or crying. he has been very cranky lately during the day when he doesn't get his way or is frustrated. this is new as he has been an angel/textbook baby thus far. we have been following the baby whisperer routines and suggestions in every area from the beginning, so i really haven't been able to figure out what is causing any of these problems so far. any suggestions for any of these situations?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Night Wakings @ 10 mo.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 21:12:29 pm »
Could he be teething? It also sounds like you've got some developmental stuff in the works too. Is he crawling?

I would also suggest that you bring his bedtime forward a bit - 8:15 is rather late. Most LOs do best with a bedtime between 7 and 8. Also at 10 mo. 4 bottles is quite a bit. How much does he take at each bottle feed? I think adjusting the eating routine might help as well.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline TiffanyNoel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Jericho Levi
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 06:27:55 am »
He was teething 1 1/2 weeks ago and there still might be some discomfort, but it doesn't seem to be as uncomfortable as it was before. I would say a 2 or 3 on a 1-10 scale.

as for his eating...he's underweight for his age, weighing in at 15.12 at his 9 month. so the doctor wants me to continue to get as many calories in as i can a day without any discomfort for him. he seems to still be good with this schedule. this is the schedule or routine, rather, that i took from tracy's book. i know i need to start transitioning to more solids, less bottle, but am hesitant to do so because of the weight gain. and the last week or so i've been more concerned about his weight because he's refusing most foods, especially anything that is served on a spoon. i started him on solid around 6 1/2 mo. if i understood that routine incorrectly, then please explain!

he started crawling about 2 weeks ago. and he also started becoming defiant and whiny about a week ago. he was very mild mannered and happy before. now he is easily frustrated and wants things his way. we don't allow that sort of behavior and firmly tell him no and explain a response that is acceptable. but sometimes we will give him a little flick on the hand if he's being defiant time and again(such as spitting out food at dinner). is this ok? would this cause him some sort of trauma that would disturb his sleep?

Last night he woke at 5 and i went in, did not pick him up, but settled him in his crib and stayed with him for about 10 minutes. i then left him and he went to sleep until his usual 7:30 wake time.

Naps and bedtime: he takes a morning nap usually from 10-11 and then is raring to go until about 2:30 or 3. he then naps til about 5. we  start the bedtime routine around 7:45 and he is usually completely asleep by 8:15. do you have suggestions in this area?

He does have a touch of a cold, but nothing that seems to be actually bothering him.

let me know what you think! thank you so much! ???

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 16:51:17 pm »
It sounds to me like he's definitely got developmental stuff happening. At his age he's entering a HUGE developmental stage where things will start happening one after the other. It's fun, but often rough on the sleep.  :-\  He's getting to be mobile, learning communication skills, and generally becoming more independent.

I don't blame you for wanting to stick to the bottles more if he's having weight gain troubles. You don't need to worry too much about it until around a year anyway. Although, you might try switching to three bottles of more than 6 oz so that he gets the same amount of formula during the day but takes more at each feed. Could it be possible that he's having a problem with something he's eating? An allergy?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o